Tarantulas of China

arthurliuyz

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter +
I've always been interested in the tarantula species of China. This thread is made so I can document species, described or undescribed, that were found in China. I hope this will be helpful for anyone looking for reference pictures or simply wanting to enjoy these beauties. :D

Let's start off with a classic:
0.1 Cyriopagopus schmidti, WC in Guangxi.
DSC09848.jpeg
DSC09819.jpeg
DSC09829.jpeg

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Asia has some amazing tarantula genuses and species. But I really wish they were all described and properly identified which is why I'm not really into them. Because of the mis-identification and undescribed species of the Asian tarantulas. But I won't lie and I do admit they are all amazing looking.

arthurliuyz

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter +
Asia has some amazing tarantula genera and species. But I really wish they were all described and properly identified which is why I'm not really into them. Because of the mis-identification and undescribed species of the Asian tarantulas. But I won't lie and I do admit they are all amazing looking.
Thanks! I believe this case is mostly true in countries like Vietnam or Thailand. Here, though, I believe no undescribed Chinese species are readily available. This include species that I'm almost sure are new species. The only way I can get these species is by buying specimens from other hobbyists who caught them during a hike or something. I'm am also wanting to go to the localities of different species, hoping to film them in their natural habitats, but that would be a project for the future. :)

Last edited:

tommyno

Arachnopeon
I've always been interested in the tarantula species of China. This thread is made so I can document species, described or undescribed, that were found in China. I hope this will be helpful for anyone looking for reference pictures or simply wanting to enjoy these beauties. :D

Let's start off with a classic:
0.1 Cyriopagopus schmidti, WC in Guangxi.
View attachment 440410
View attachment 440411
View attachment 440412
Hi ! I’m interested in chinese T species. I currently have C. schmidti and C. hainanum in my collection. I see that you are from China, Can I ask you a question…. Which species is more rare or common in chinese hobby? C. Schmidti or C. hainanum? Thank you

arthurliuyz

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter +
Hi ! I’m interested in chinese T species. I currently have C. schmidti and C. hainanum in my collection. I see that you are from China, Can I ask you a question…. Which species is more rare or common in chinese hobby? C. Schmidti or C. hainanum? Thank you
Not sure what was the case before C. hainanus became a protected species. Now, since they are protected, owning them is illegal, so they aren't available in the Chinese hobby at all. Sadly, I haven't seen any captive breeding of C. schmidti [Guangxi] because finding them in the wild is so easy that people don't bother to breed and collect wild specimens, sometimes people even take the whole egg sack from mothers - this was one of the reasons how C. hainanus became endangered. I don't have high hopes if people don't start to realize this to be an issue. :sad:

arthurliuyz

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter +
0.1 Chilobrachys lubricus
DSC00648.jpeg
DSC00657.jpeg

These are very pretty as adults IMO.
The pic below is from: Lin, Y. J., Li, S. Q. & Xie, C. Y. (2022). A new species of Chilobrachys (Araneae, Theraphosidae) from Guangdong, China. Biodiversity Data Journal 10(e96467): 1-13.

截屏2023-04-15 下午8.32.27.png

arthurliuyz

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter +
0.1 Chilobrachys liboensis (Maolan & North-Hechi locality)
DSC01420 (1).jpeg
0.0.1 Chilobrachys liboensis (Mid-Hechi locality)
DSC01393 (1).jpeg