Tarantulas/Local News/Spider Kids Club

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There has been a whirlwind of activity since we returned from the ATS Conference. The local YMCA has "booked" Emma to come give a talk to their daycare kids about her trip, her experiences in New Mexico, and her spiders. The Olathe Daily News just came and interviewed/photographed her for 2 hours... she wouldn't stop talking. The Kansas City Star and KCTV5 are going to interview her at the YMCA event. Put a big spider in a little girls hands and it becomes a huge ordeal. I can see how everything got started with Elizabeth now.

In addition to all of that, I'm going to start a local club called "Spider Kids". The focus will be on the future of our hobby... the children. I'm going to try to send out a monthly news letter giving information on a different species each month along with any letters/questions that the kids want to write and send in. If anyone has any experience/suggestions, I'm open for anything and everything. I'm going to include the info in the flyers I send out to the petstores and then I think I'll hit the school districts when school starts back up.

Botar

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This was the spider on Emma's arm in the previous picture. It is rare that we catch her out of her web tube so this was truly a special day all the way around.

Botar

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yeah

That's really cool Botar. People that do something like that are cool! so your cool! any ways mr.cool guy good luck on this. I'm glad to see that. have a nice day
geo

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Whoooooo Hoooooooo...... you go Botar! Way to spread the word!!!

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I can't take the credit on this one... I'm accepting the role as "Emma's dad".

Botar

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, she made the front page. She had two color photos on the front page, including a very large one you can see on the website, and three black and whites on page three. She spent the night with a friend last night, so I'm anxious to see her reaction when she gets home.

http://www.olathedailynews.com/

http://www.olathedailynews.com/ODNNews/Story1.html

Other than some common mistakes, like referring to tarantulas as "insects", they did a pretty good job.

Botar

Last edited:

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
You have a celebrity daughter and versicolor, now - cool deal! It's good to see a writer disseminating truth instead of perpetuating ignorant rumors. Good job!

Dario

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
you never cease to impress me, botar. wow.

if you need any help putting together the newsletter (or wan to "pretty" it up some) let me know. i'd be more than happy to design it for you.

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Awesome! Keep it up - this is exactly the kind of stuff that makes our hobby look good and garner new people to join the fold!

:) I love the versi pic.

bill

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well how about that!

Much credit to Emma and Charles! You guys are doing wonders for the hobby. The news paper article was excellent and shows a positive nature to invert keeping. Well done!
*ahem* I wonder if Emma wouldn't mind autographing a copy of the paper for me? :p I never met a famous bug kid before. :cool:

Keep it up Emma!

Atrax

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks to all. I'll probably take you up on the help Krystal... I've never done anything like this before and with my limited computer skills, it ought to be interesting.

Atrax,

If I told her the "rock and roll star" wanted her autograph, her head would be as big as mine after I had my exclusive cave touring date with Holley, Gillian, and Joy in Carlsbad.

I'll probably be seeking help from everyone for ideas, tips, and suggestions. Arachnopets info will be included, of course. BTW Scott, I'll be providing info about the site at the show Sunday too. If we can win the hearts of the kids, we'll be in good shape.

Botar

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
that is one of the best things ive seen in a while. kudos to both Botar and Emma. we are arranging a talk at the girl's preschool now, where i will be bringing some t's and herps and teaching the children about them. who knows, maybe this is the begining of the end of the stigma surrounding spiders:? .

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dude that is awsome, tell Emma, i said congrates and good luck

Sincerely,

Brandon

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Botar,
I think this is an awesome ordeal. Maybe someday it will turn everyones opinon away from the negative about keeping animals other than cats, dogs, birds and fish. I think its cool that your daughter seems so content with the versi just chillin on her arm. Congrats to both of you.
dale

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
She is a brave little girl, and content with allot of things. Here is a picture that I snaped of her digging up her first tarantula at the ATS conferance.

Sincerely,

Brandon

Attachments

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
that's just fantastic Charlie!
We had such a wonderful time with the both of you, even with Emma and Shelby arguing alot of the time :)
The Kids Club is a great idea, I'd love to start something like that out here. Our neighbor is so thrilled that we collected a tarantula for him, he's 11 years old, and a new T keeper.
He's also anxious to spread the word, and is hoping to come to the conference next year.
After seeing the kids at the conference this year, and listening to them bring up the subject of tarantulas on their own, with no parental prompting, to other hotel guests, leads me to believe that they really are interested, and know alot more than we give them credit for.
Anyway, tell Emma that she is doing a GREAT job, and we are very proud of her!
Holley

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
What a well written article! It's nice to see something positive about tarantulas instead of "ewwww a big hairy spider."
Emma is lovely and I think it's wonderful that you and your daughter have found a common hobby that allows you to spend so much time together.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by Botar
Other than some common mistakes, like referring to tarantulas as "insects", they did a pretty good job.

Botar
I work for the 3rd largest newspaper in California.... there is no such thing as an editorial story WITHOUT mistakes!!:D That's why I supervise the ART Department!!!

I am so impressed with your daughter, she's beautiful and very smart!! Hey, I have an 8 year old son, Sam.....:D

Congratulations on the notariety, and thank you for helping to spread the truth! What a great dad you are!:D

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow, that's really phat, man. I'm very proud of Emma. She seemed to have a wanderful time at the ATS convention and I'm glad she got to experience her fun with others. IT was a GREAT pleasure meeting the both of you. I'm sorry I didn't get back in time to say good bye that night. Did you ever post the pics from the handeling convention? I have really been putting Rosemary's advice to work. I'll post some pics later of me holding my h. maculata and my t. blondi. Again, congrads with Emma and her wanderful triumph. I wish you the best of luck with the club. :D

In Him,
Marcus

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
very cool...

As it has already been said just what the hobby needs. Good for Emma and you both man. It is really refreshing to see this kind of thing hit the papers as opposed to the usual bad press that exotics get.

Phil