Tarantulas hating contact with human skin?

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Do tarantulas really hate the touch of human skin that much? I hear this a lot and witnessed it today. I was filling up water dishes and one of my tarantulas started to climb up the enclosure. I tried to coax it onto my hand but as soon as it felt my flesh, it backed away. Same thing with one of my most docile species. She came up the enclosure, walked across the top, felt my hand and won't go further. No wonder why they say don't handle your tarantulas, they seem to not like it at all. I know we can't read their minds but, does anybody know why tarantulas hate the feeling of human skin?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I'm guessing that it's that they don't generally prefer mushy surfaces that are soft and pliable, because they are less supportive and more likely to give way, causing a potential fall. Falls are bad news for them.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Maybe they can just tell something's in the way so they turn around. The same thing happens when I use my tongs to stop Regina from climbing out.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I handle some when cleaning or rehousing. They usually don't want to leave my hand and go back in their enclosure when I'm done. I dont really think a hand is any different from a straw, tong or paintbrush---they just don't like to be bothered.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've noticed with most of my inverts, including not only tarantulas but also amblypygi, phasmids, beetles, mantises, roaches, millipedes, etc. that they don't seem to like abrupt changes to the surface they are walking on. It's like they're comfortable with what they're on, and don't want to switch to something new - whether that "something" is my hand or arm, or a catch cup, or a piece of paper or egg crate or bark. Once they have been on the new surface (such as my hand) for a few minutes and gotten acclimated, they are equally reluctant to get off it - even when that means returning to their former substrate.

That said, I have also noticed that some bugs prefer to avoid surfaces that are harder for them to get a grip on. They'll prefer a shirt sleeve over bare flesh, for example. But that's hardly surprising - I'd take good, solid ground over black ice or some other slippery surface, too.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Given that they have chemoreceptors in their feet coupled with being able to feel minute vibrations, I'd imagine that walking on human skin would cause sensory overload in some Tarantulas.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Maybe they can just tell something's in the way so they turn around. The same thing happens when I use my tongs to stop Regina from climbing out.
I love how you continue to hide from us all of that Peanut's knowledge you achieved. This thread would be perfect for deliver a bit of that pure magic, but nope, you Egoist :)

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Who is Peanut??
A B. albopilosum who lives in a Houston museum. I met her at a school event once. Peanut was letting kids touch her abdomen, and the caretaker told me she was calm around people because "shes around them a lot, and no longer associates them with danger." So when I joined AB back in October my first post was about Peanut and how she was apparently proof that tarantulas can be trained... I didn't realize at the time that B. albopilosums are just inherently laid back spiders who don't care anyway ;_; so Chris found it hilarious and keeps bringing up Peanut in every random thread I post in.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
Do tarantulas really hate the touch of human skin that much? I hear this a lot and witnessed it today. I was filling up water dishes and one of my tarantulas started to climb up the enclosure. I tried to coax it onto my hand but as soon as it felt my flesh, it backed away. Same thing with one of my most docile species. She came up the enclosure, walked across the top, felt my hand and won't go further. No wonder why they say don't handle your tarantulas, they seem to not like it at all. I know we can't read their minds but, does anybody know why tarantulas hate the feeling of human skin?

Deb60

Arachnosquire
I have a Euathlus sp Red ( Chile Flame) had him since November last year , the previous owner had him out nearly everyday , and he was quite happy to climb on to his hand and have a walk . Not done it myself with him mind you .

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
It's ALL about Peanut, the legendary tamed Theraphosidae, and the lucky man that once meet her, Moakmeister. The rest is cheap talk, basically fried air from the worst Chinese restaurant and nothing more.

Until Moakmeister will share Peanut's secrets to everyone we are in stand-by :-s

Peanut is the perfect name for a tarantula!
Heresy! Exist only one Peanut :-s

@Leila
Thanks Lady :kiss:

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
A B. albopilosum who lives in a Houston museum.
Chris found it hilarious and keeps bringing up Peanut in every random thread I post in.
Eh... blame me for that, my man :)

Basically we are at hand to reach the "Ark of the Covenant" of Theraphosidae and we should consider that just like, don't know... a sort of "M.I.B" movie fake magazine news about Elvis or the Pope? Giammai, I tell you :-s

* The Theme v