Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Tarantulas for Christmas!

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by scooter1685, Nov 30, 2019.

1. scooter1685

scooter1685 Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    I had promised that I wouldn't buy any more Ts until spring. My little slings are growing pretty slowly, and I've been fighting the urge to get something larger or at least more little slings. They're awesome and fun to watch, but it's a little hard to imagine these 3/4 - 1 inch things as adults.

My wife surprised me today with an early Christmas present. She bought me six new slings that I'm supposed to pick up Wednesday while she's at work. She won't tell me what all of them are, she wants them to be a surprise, but she gave me a couple hints about some of them. All are New World, I made it pretty clear that I'm still nervous about having Old World Ts around while we still have a couple toddlers.

Pretty sure one is Ephebopus cyanognathus, one is Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, and one is Grammostola quirogai. We'll see if I've guessed well or not on Wednesday. I've been wanting those three specifically.

Pretty excited. Honestly didn't expect anything living for a present. Emily is usually disinclined to add to the number of pets we have, so this was a big surprise.

• Like Like x 9
    • Love Love x 1
  2. Minty

Minty @londontarantulas

Great present.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. vancwa

vancwa Arachnosquire Active Member

Good wife!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. aarachnid

aarachnid Arachnosquire

Sounds like a nice surprise!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. scooter1685

scooter1685 Arachnopeon

It is! I kinda thought she was joking at first. Can't wait to see what they all are!

• Like Like x 1
  6. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

Tell your wife she won't be traded in for the new model, and you have renewed her contract for another year- no pressure on her.

• Funny Funny x 7
  7. Arachnophoric

Arachnophoric Arachnoangel Arachnosupporter

It's always nice to see threads where someone's significant other is supportive of this hobby. :happy:

Excited to hear what she got ya - keep us posted. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. scooter1685

scooter1685 Arachnopeon

Of course I'm super nervous again. Spent the last few hours making a bunch of enclosures, mixing a bit of substrate, and preparing some small cork bark hides. They ship tomorrow. Trying to busy myself and make sure I've prepared everything.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. moricollins

moricollins Arachnoking Old Timer

Best wife ever!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tim Benzedrine

Tim Benzedrine Prankster Possum Old Timer

I agree, you don't those things around them. Put the toddlers up for adoption.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. fishboyuk

fishboyuk Arachnopeon

I gave up waiting for my wife to buy me spiders. All I seem to get in the post from her are parking and toll fines.

So I bought 6 more for myself.

12. FrDoc

FrDoc Gen. 1:24-25 Arachnosupporter

She’s a keeper!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ShyDragoness

ShyDragoness Arachnobaron Active Member

God Im jealous :sorry:

14. scooter1685

scooter1685 Arachnopeon

Super anxious. Originally the package was estimated to be ready for pickup at 9 this morning. Then it said noon. Now it's only a few hours away from noon, and the tracker says my package is still sitting at a "destination sort facility" in Utah, a good 5 hour drive away from my area. Probably the tracking information just hasn't been updated to reflect the current status, but knowing that's likely doesn't make my anxiety go away.

A few hours from now, when my new little Ts are all in their enclosures and safe, this is all going to seem rather silly.

15. ShyDragoness

No need to panic, afew days of shipping wont kill them

16. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

unless its freezing out.

• Lollipop Lollipop x 1
  17. ShyDragoness

Thats what heatpacks are for, within reason of course

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. scooter1685

scooter1685 Arachnopeon

It's pretty cold where I am. Dropped to just below freezing last night, but tonight is supposed to get a little colder than that. Thankfully, we've been spared almost all of the storms that have come our way lately. My front yard is mostly grass, despite the temperatures.

In any case, there's not much I can do about it. Called the company, and they still say it's supposed to be at the facility in a couple hours. We'll see what happens. Frustrating to say the least, but c'est la vie.

19. scooter1685

scooter1685 Arachnopeon

An hour and a half ago, when I first called the shipping company, they said everything was fine and my shipment would be on time. Now, when the shipment is slightly overdue, they said there's a delay because of icy road conditions and it should be here within 6 more hours. I want to call them all sorts of horrible things. I explained to two different customer service representatives that they are ALIVE and sensitive to temperatures. Not their fault really. The service representatives have nothing to do with actual shipping. I was polite and thanked them for their help. Still want to call them all sorts of colorful names.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. scooter1685

scooter1685 Arachnopeon

They're here and safe. I need a few minutes for my heart to stop pounding so hard. A couple of them need to swap enclosures, now that I see them. There are a couple that I have questions about caring for properly, but they're all here and they're all beautiful.

In about ten or fifteen minutes I'll see to those two that need to swap enclosures. After that I'll see about pictures and questions and a proper update. For now, I'm going to drink some water and lie down for a bit. Just wanted to update after all the crazy confusion with their shipping.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.