Tarantulas Eating Vegetables or Fruit?

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
This is really interesting. I guess anything they can suck juices out of is considered food.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just getting moisture obviously

Next someone will be saying their T is vegan lol
There are idiots who have posted on the forum looking for ways to do this simply because the human animal was a vegan.

Such action, forcing an animal to be anything it isn’t, is pure stupidity

Last edited by a moderator:

BenWilly

Tarantula Hillbilly
There are idiots who have posted on the forum looking for ways to do this simply because the human animal was a vegan.

Such action, forcing an animal to be anything it isn’t, is pure stupidity
I agree 100%. My local pet store the manager there is forcing her dog to be vegan. She was fussing about a month ago about how her vet was saying it wasnt good for the dog .She says her dog likes it and is healthy and happy. And she runs a pet store:banghead:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I agree 100%. My local pet store the manager there is forcing her dog to be vegan. She was fussing about a month ago about how her vet was saying it wasnt good for the dog .She says her dog likes it and is healthy and happy. And she runs a pet store:banghead:
Stupid

Gnarled Gnome

Arachnoknight
Epic thread. But how has no one referenced this yet?! I am disappointed in y'all!
"And the angel of the lord came unto me, snatching me up from my place of slumber. And took me on high, and higher still until we moved to the spaces betwixt the air itself. And he brought me into a vast farmlands of our own Midwest. And as we descended, cries of impending doom rose from the soil. One thousand, nay a million voices full of fear. And terror possessed me then
And I begged, "Angel of the Lord, what are these tortured screams?"
And the angel said unto me, "These are the cries of the carrots, the cries of the carrots! You see, Reverend Maynard, tomorrow is harvest day and to them it is the holocaust!"
(Sorry mods I tried to link and it keeps converting to video)

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
Damn! There are really funny answers here. Lol.

Seriously, though, couple years ago, I remember Tom Patterson (dont know if he's here) made a thread in a Fb group (AB or TK) where he fed one of his Ts with a tiny tomato. I think he gave her the same tomato more than 3x, she caught her everytime but dropped her after a while, without eating it.

I know carrots and tomatoes are different, lol, but imo, I think Ts went to vegetables for their wet. A constantly full water dish do not turn obligatory that the spider will always drink water or get a moist source from the dish, if they find other sources, they can go for it.

Making a comparison, some individuals can "suck the moist" from their exuviae, after they molt, I've noticed they can do that wether they have a water dish or not. Another thing, sometimes, when they go for their old skin, they can torn it apart a lil bit, I think maybe, thats why sometimes the vegetable can look like it was chewed.

But, I'm just hypothesizing, of course.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Its been well-documented by keepers that centipedes will eat some fruits. I've even tried Repashy crested gecko diet, and they will dine on that as well.

It wouldn't be shocking to find out that some species of tarantula in captivity would use a piece of fruit to get some moisture or have a drink in a dry enclosure. If anybody tries please report back.

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
Its been well-documented by keepers that centipedes will eat some fruits. I've even tried Repashy crested gecko diet, and they will dine on that as well.

It wouldn't be shocking to find out that some species of tarantula in captivity would use a piece of fruit to get some moisture or have a drink in a dry enclosure. If anybody tries please report back.
Here's something I wrote couple weeks ago. It was on Ig, so I dont have the mentioned pic anymore on my cellphone.

Scolopendra spp. are omnivirous. That means they can eat pretty much "anything", lol. In the picture, a Scolopendra viridicornis is eating a dead prey, but they can also get live vertebrates, depending on their size, of course. Small mammals, reptiles, birds can be part of their menu. But despite of these preys, pieces of fruits like bananas, oranges, strawberries and also, vegetables, like cucumbers, potatoes and even bread crumbs, have already been registered being eaten in captivity. To be clear, I don't know if there are any benefits for the animal, eating fruits and vegetables, and I also don't know if others centipede genera can feed on them, I'm just talking about it as a curiosity

Imo, though, not only their anatomy, obviously, but also their behavior and phisiology are completely different from Theraphosidae. I'm not sure if it is a good parameter to compare them.

MoranDisciple

Arachnosquire
Since tarantulas eat prey items that are full on plant matter, perhaps they have evolved to be able to digest it.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Tonight, I put a baby carrot in the enclosure of my Brachypelma emilia to lure out the dubia roach that was hiding. After Petra finished with the roach, I looked in the enclosure and noticed that she had the carrot in her mouth.

I was sure she'd drop the carrot once she figured out it was not a bug, but she had it in her mouth for over two hours, and when she was done, the carrot was at least 50% smaller.
I decided to see if Petra would eat a cherry tomato. She does not like tomatoes. She dropped it after about 15 minutes, and I saw no evidence she had bitten into it. (The coloring is off, because the camera was on the wrong setting, making the whole picture look green, and I had to try to fix the coloring in Photoshop.)

Spiderman937

Arachnopeon
My female Brachypelma hamori seemed to enjoy a slice of a big red grape, for a few minutes before she dropped it and grabbed a cricket. I had a Pterinochilus murinus who liked banana. Who doesnt like fruit? IMG_1225.JPG

keks

Arachnobaron
Logged in after two years, read the first new post, and you made my day :rofl: .

Actually I wanted to turn out, how to delete my account. But I think, I'll reconsider :playful:.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
I don't know how to feel about this, lol. My impulse says it's just getting moisture - but then why would the carrot have been reduced in size so much? Carrots are pretty dense so I imagine venom would have to be involved here. Why would it envenomate something it perceived as a water source?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I don't know how to feel about this, lol. My impulse says it's just getting moisture - but then why would the carrot have been reduced in size so much? Carrots are pretty dense so I imagine venom would have to be involved here. Why would it envenomate something it perceived as a water source?
I would have assumed she was simply drinking from the carrot, but she had just eaten a juicy roach and had access to a full water dish, so I can't imagine she was terribly thirsty.

Petra will bite anything that triggers her -- her water dish, the water dropper, my hand. The carrot probably rolled and triggered a prey response, but why didn't she simply drop it when she realized it wasn't a bug?

Sterls

Arachnobaron
I would have assumed she was simply drinking from the carrot, but she had just eaten a juicy roach and had access to a full water dish, so I can't imagine she was terribly thirsty.

Petra will bite anything that triggers her -- her water dish, the water dropper, my hand. The carrot probably rolled and triggered a prey response, but why didn't she simply drop it when she realized it wasn't a bug?
Yeah I saw you mention that in your previous posts. The amount of mass reduction suggests she kept pumping venom in it 😂 This is a new level of "spiders do as spiders do"

corydalis

Arachnosquire
It happened folks. One of my female balfouris molted almost a month ago, so last week I thought the time has come to give her a cricket. She doesn't seemed to be interested, and stayed in her burrow, so in order to keep the feeder alive, placed a halved grape into the enclosure, and changed it to a fresh one every day. Today I also sprayed some water on the webbing around the entrance, which actually triggered her attention this time, and came out to drink and to investigate. That made the cricket jump away, and the movement lured her out even more, until she bumped into the grape. She grabbed it gently, and retreated into her burrow munching on it. Poor cricket has no idea whats going on..