Tarantulas eating Dead - Oversized prey

qwertymomo

Arachnopeon
I've got a 2.5" P. murinus, and shes doin fine, great feeder, and she loves stalkin them. She's also eaten some dead ones, and maimed ones in the past. This time i experimented, with a Hisser that was getting old and had separated itself from the colony and died. so i placed the corpse on top of her little hammock, and waited. That night, she had approached it, and i noticed her checkin it out. then she begun to circle the enclosure, and I let her do her thing. The next morning, I found her sitting on top of it, but it had webs all over it. Is she going to eat it? she is not particularly full , but not starving either. But I know she can eat waaay more than what shes already eaten. obt vs. dead hisser.jpg Thoughts on this, guys? I tried looking for similar topics on the forums, but couldnt find any. I can't be the only one who has done this.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
It's generally not a great idea to use sick or dying feeders or ones that have been dead for a period of time. The roach you offered was very large and your spider was obviously not interested. It's been treated as furniture. Remove it before it gets webbed any further and starts decaying.

qwertymomo

Arachnopeon
W
It's generally not a great idea to use sick or dying feeders or ones that have been dead for a period of time. The roach you offered was very large and your spider was obviously not interested. It's been treated as furniture. Remove it before it gets webbed any further and starts decaying.
will do. thanks for all the replies and advice! im movin her to a better one.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It's likely "housekeeping" behavior. By webbing it up, it prevents it from spreading mold and makes it less attractive/accessible to scavengers.