Tarantulas changing colors when they mature

Boogerjets

Arachnopeon
Recently my haploclastus devamatha has molted out of its sling colors and is now this amazing blue and purple coloration so I have 2 questions about this

If it molts out to be a male will that color fade

the second question ties into the first is it the males or the females that have the bright color I could not find any good sources for this information

thank you for your time and I look forward to seeing what you have to say

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
With maturity it depends on if this species is sexually dichromatic between males and females whether it changes or not. Idk if it is, some species are some are not. Some people mistakenly referred to this as sexually dimorphic but all tarantulas are sexually dimorphic between mature sexes.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
well all T’s are sexually dimorphic, males mature amd get hooks/emboli and body proportions change in contrast to females. Technically Dichromatism is a form of Dimorphism as far as I’m aware, but referring to color as dimorphic is kinda ambiguous given that all T’s already are, so I guess you could say it’s not incorrect but it’s not correct either. The more apt description of color changes is being dichromatic meaning color at maturity is different between sexes.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
well all T’s are sexually dimorphic, males mature amd get hooks/emboli and body proportions change in contrast to females. Technically Dichromatism is a form of Dimorphism as far as I’m aware, but referring to color as dimorphic is kinda ambiguous given that all T’s already are, so I guess you could say it’s not incorrect but it’s not correct either. The more apt description of color changes is being dichromatic meaning color at maturity is different between sexes.
When males and females look different due to color, that is sexual dimorphism according to scientists. The scientific article I provided earlier indicates this.

If you want to be more specific go for it.

But to write people have been wrong etc for using the broader term— that is factually, flat out wrong. They aren’t wrong at all.

Last edited:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
When males and females look different due to color, that is sexual dimorphism according to scientists. The scientific article I provided earlier indicates this.

If you want to be more specific go for it.

But to write people have been wrong etc for using the broader term— that is factually, flat out wrong. They aren’t wrong at all.
you could say it’s not incorrect
I said it’s not incorrect but it’s also not the actual specific term. Yeah I doesn’t really matter either work. Is it not like referring to every species in a genus by only the genus name? It’s not incorrect but it’s only partially correct. Saying they are sexually dichromatic denotes exactly what type of sexual dimorphism is exhibited, as all Tarantulas are sexually dimorphic apart from color which only some are, that was all my point was about.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I said it’s not incorrect but it’s also not the actual specific term. Yeah I doesn’t really matter either work. Is it not like referring to every species in a genus by only the genus name? It’s not incorrect but it’s only partially correct. Saying they are sexually dichromatic denotes exactly what type of sexual dimorphism is exhibited, as all Tarantulas are sexually dimorphic apart from color which only some are, that was all my point was about.
People aren’t “mistaken” for writing sexually dimorphic when it comes to color.

But what you wrote in the beginning was wrong- that was my point.

Mistaken and more accurate are completely different here.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
People aren’t “mistaken” for writing sexually dimorphic when it comes to color.

But what you wrote in the beginning was wrong- that was my point.

Mistaken and more accurate are completely different here.
You are right, I chose my words poorly and I was being incorrect!

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Recently my haploclastus devamatha has molted out of its sling colors and is now this amazing blue and purple coloration so I have 2 questions about this

If it molts out to be a male will that color fade

the second question ties into the first is it the males or the females that have the bright color I could not find any good sources for this information

thank you for your time and I look forward to seeing what you have to say
A quick look through the Haploclastus genus gallery on this site shows that males of H. devamatha turn brown and black upon reaching maturity.

You are right, I chose my words poorly and I was being incorrect!
The term sexually dichromatic only really makes sense when used to refer to the differences in color between immature males and females in the species where they are different. This is by definition of the root words "chroma" and "morph." In the tarantulas where immature males and females have different coloration, they don't differ in their morphology but by their color/ pattern. Therefore referring to immature male and female tarantulas that have different colors as sexually dimorphic would be wrong. Again, the keyword here is "immature." :)