Tarantulas by Plane :)

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Did anybody transport their spiders in their luggage (carrying it on the plane)?
If so, what's the procedure involved?
I would rather do that than trust UPS with my p.metallica when I move.

domesday

Arachnopeon
i have tried placing t's in my handcarry luggage and some in my check-in baggage. even though its illegal to transport them or even have them without a permit here in the Philippines i brought them with me. these t's were slings which i placed in film canisters so no hassle in hiding them... :)

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I would never in a million years risk smuggling ANYTHING iffy, especially a living exotic animal, with airport security and paranoia being what it is. One good shot with the luggage X-rays and for all I know you'd be fined/arrested and the animal confiscated or destroyed.

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Doesn't hurt to check... I want to hear from somebody who has tried it.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Your only choice really would be to pack them up like you were going to ship them, and put them in a bag that was going to be checked. Then get them when you land. They are not going to open your checked bags, but they might open a carry on.

I did this when I moved from Cali after I got out of the Marines and went to Indiana for a while, and did the same thing again when I moved back to Oregon.

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well my whole point is that I wouldn't trust others to carry them, especially in luggage... I guess I will stick with UPS...

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
UPS is going to handle your Ts more then you will packing them in a carry on. Much more.
- The person at the UPS store.
- The person that loads the truck going to the airport.
- The person that unloads the truck and puts it in the waiting area for the plane.
- The plane loader.
- The plane off loader.
- The UPS airport pickup driver for the area or zip code distribution area.
- The UPS processing facility in that area, unload into the warehouse.
- The person that scans it to see where its going.
- The person that loads the truck.
- The person that walks it to you to be signed for.

VS - You packing it putting it in your bag,
- You checking it.
- Plane loader.
- Plane off loader.
- You picking it up and taking them home.

Id pack them in a carry on if I were you. I am sure I missed a step somewhere but you get the idea.

patexan

Arachnopeon
I have wondered about transporting t's on planes myself.

If it is not permissible to transport them on a plane, I wonder if putting one in checked luggage would work. In the post 9/11 world, all checked baggage is x-rayed. I have had check bags opened and inspected. I can just imagine the TSA guys freaking out over a spider....

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i belive there was a tread that brought up this question awhile back....discussing both the pros & cons and changes from 9-11 till now...

T-chick

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
From the ATS forum one person, and others have put their T's in their checked luggage.
They pack them as if they were going to ship them via mail.. Packed WELL!!
Then on the outside of the package they have labelled them "harmless invertebrates for research" or "Harmless Invertebrates for Scientific study."
The luggage was checked, the box I am sure passed through the x-ray machine.. and the inverts arrived fine, the box unopened.
That is legal for you to do.
It is not legal to have them on the plane WITH you.. LOL
I have done it twice however AND had a snake too once.
I have packed the juvies ( I only had two) One each time) as if I were going to ship them.
I got my ticket/boarding pass, and then hit the rest room before going through the security check point.
I don't bring any thing on the plane that might need to be thrown out or checked... Well actually the did check a resin statue I had with me.. cause it was a large dark object that they couldn't see into.. SOLID resin.. hello...
Any way, no extra water, no more than 2 oz's of shampoo or other liquid...

In the bathroom I took the vial out of my carry on and put it in my sock. I wore comfortable pants that are a bit baggy, I had it next to my ankle/shin.
I wore slip on/off shoes and put everything into the tubs to be x-ray'd, walked through the metal detector and retrieved my stuff.. On my way to the gate I stopped at another bathroom and took the vial out of my sock and back into my carry on.
I ensure my carry on either can fit in the seat ahead of me (below) OR in the overhead compartment.
With the snake.. I used a shoe lace to tie the bag(cut down pillow case) it was in to my calf/shin. I tied it at the bottom AND at the top.
Again wore baggy cargo pants, and had a juvie T in my sock on my other leg.
I only had them ON me long enough to get through security.
The snake was a small one.
Don't act suspicious, talk to people, make eye contact.. OR simply pack the T as if you were going to mail it and put it in your checked baggage.. Label it!!, Tape it within an inch of the boxes life!!
I know what I did was wrong.. but Now I know I can put the T in my checked luggage, InConUS only!! ( in the continental US only).
Just sharing my experience. I don't think it should be done, Yes I did do it, I don't advocate doing it. I did it out of ignorance, but now know there are better ways to do things.

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i have tried placing t's in my handcarry luggage and some in my check-in baggage. even though its illegal to transport them or even have them without a permit here in the Philippines i brought them with me. these t's were slings which i placed in film canisters so no hassle in hiding them... :)
One was caught at the Clark Intl. airport recently. There is a pending case against him filed by our local environment and wildlife protection agency. To make matters worse, it was a CITES listed species.

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
And here's my experience:

I was transporting from Alaska to Oregon. To meet airline requirements, you must have each spider packed in it's individual container and then all containers packed in an airline approved pet crate with proper air circulation. Each spider must have it's own certificate of health, approved by a vet. And it will cost $300 to ship the crate.

They do NOT allow Ts to be transported as carry on. They do NOT allow them to be packed in regular luggage. If you chose to do so, and if you get caught, you will have charges filed against you, the Ts will be consficated, and God only knows what else. Why risk it?

Ship them in the mail.

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Also not likely. I've read accounts of people having nightmares just getting pet RATS on a plane legally, half because "ewwww it'll infect/kill everyone on the plane."
I think the biggest fear of taking rodents on board is that they could escape and chew through wiring.

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
why not just call the airport and talk to the rep of the compnay you are flying with to see if they will allow you to put a secured shipping boxin your checked luggage (making sure the understand that the spider is double contained... deli cup with lid taped or rubber banded down and then that container placed within a reinforced cardboard box with a high crush rating) There are different policies for different airline carriers when it comes to animals. Who knows, you might have an airline that will allow it with the carryon luggage.. though checked luggage is probably the best you can hope for since they might assume you might open up the spider container while in flight lol.

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
And here's my experience:

I was transporting from Alaska to Oregon. To meet airline requirements, you must have each spider packed in it's individual container and then all containers packed in an airline approved pet crate with proper air circulation. Each spider must have it's own certificate of health, approved by a vet. And it will cost $300 to ship the crate.

They do NOT allow Ts to be transported as carry on. They do NOT allow them to be packed in regular luggage. If you chose to do so, and if you get caught, you will have charges filed against you, the Ts will be consficated, and God only knows what else. Why risk it?

Ship them in the mail.
Thanks; that's exactly what I was looking for.

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
why not just call the airport and talk to the rep of the compnay you are flying with to see if they will allow you to put a secured shipping boxin your checked luggage (making sure the understand that the spider is double contained... deli cup with lid taped or rubber banded down and then that container placed within a reinforced cardboard box with a high crush rating) There are different policies for different airline carriers when it comes to animals. Who knows, you might have an airline that will allow it with the carryon luggage.. though checked luggage is probably the best you can hope for since they might assume you might open up the spider container while in flight lol.
I am sure they are paranoid with all the 911 bs