• The Review forums are closed to new reviews.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reviews.

Information on how to use our new Reviews section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

tarantulas by john g. browning

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
review: eh...so-so

this book is probably ideal for those who aren't really interested in the technical aspects of owing a tarantula, and would much rather visit forums such as this to post questions instead of researching themselves.

this was my first tarantula book, and although i read it cover to cover (then proclaimed myself "all-knowing about tarantulas"), it was nowhere near as informative as the tarantula keepers guide by schultz and schultz. however, it is also a lot shorter--around 93 pages or so. it touches a little on tarantula anatomy, feeding, breeding and maintenance, as well as a little part about entering your tarantulas in pet shows.

one glaring piece of misinformation which often leads to debate concerns the use of cotton or a sponge to provide water in. after writing about different types of waterdishes the enthusiast can purchase, the author sums up the subject by advocating the use of a wet piece of cotton or a sponge, reasurring the reader that the tarantula will not have any problems "obtaining moisture" that way.

the author also assures the reader that by keeping a tarantula in a circular fish bowl a lid is unnecessary. i wonder just how many pterrors (a common climber readily available in pet stores) have been lost in houses when the reader thought the spider would not escape.

even though this book does contain misinformation, it does have some decent photographs.

and one has to take into account that the book was published in 1989.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A typical TFH product. I have this book somewhere as well. I think I bought it used, I certainly don't want to send that company any money if I don't have to. Some of their books were good when they came out, but apparently TFH sees no need to ever update information, or even correct the glaring typos and flat-out wrong info they contain. If they would at least discontinue the older titles it might help, but at any given moment they're offering something like 5-7 different tarantula books, most of which aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

Wade

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
NEGATIVE

this book is horrible.
its got some pretty decent pics, but
its really outdated at this point.

some typos/misprints/misinfo/nothing too big, but
the book just has a very odd, creepy feeling to it...

i think thats partly the author though.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Its one of the first books about tarantulas and if you collect terrarium litterature you should look it up. Informative ways it really stinks.

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Literary garbage with very pretty pictures.

This was also my first "educational literature" on tarantulas. I'd already been keeping T's for a few years when I got around to deciding to buy a book and actually learn something about the hobby and it was a dissapointment even then, but at the time there wasn't a lot of books out on the subject.

From the get-go I thought the author was on something (other than his soap box!) when he suggested the "best" method of handling to be to pick the T up by the cephalothorax between the 2nd and 3rd pair of legs! I remember thinking that might be ok for a docile specimen that is used to being handled, but God help the first moron who tries it with a large aggressive T!! I mentally pictured someone trying it with a large, high strung Pokie and winding up with a flailing monster getting a grip on a finger and spinning around to sink its fangs deep into a very shocked owner!

I'm looking for reviews on more up to date reading right now which was leads me to see this and post my own views.

I strongly recommend that anyone new to the hobby look elsewhere for current and legitimate info. This book is for a 12 yr old and a VERY docile G. rosea only!!

Cpt.nemO

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is out dated, and more of a Newbie book, still interesting but a lot of common knowledge and as i said its outdated both in scientific names as in techniques.

Still, I read it even having the tarantula's keeper guide.

bought it on amazon <edit>.

Last edited by a moderator: