Tarantulas/Arachnids Over Time: Thread

Sterls

Arachnobaron
@Ungoliant posted their Ts owned over time in the gallery the other day, and I thought it could be interesting to see other peoples too.
I'm assuming there's more than a few of us that keep good enough records to track this.

Here's my chart:

1613934539780.png

The recent dip was a combination of (2) 2i Mesaensis scorplings dying and a nearly microscopic Aphonopelma sling getting stuck in a molt :(
Other than that I feel I've had pretty good luck. Lost custody of one T due to a breakup, couple mature males.
The only ones I'm kicking myself for are an escaped scorpling and one sling I accidentally let dehydrate.
And obviously I've been going ham the last 6 months. What can I say? I moved into my own place with a dedicated exotics room, lol.

Last edited:

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
Sep 2017 - Sep 2020. Them broke years. Once one of us gets some water, then they look like charts you want to buy shares in.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I top out at 30-40 specimens at any given time. Anything more than that and the hobby turns into a task for me, not good.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
I top out at 30-40 specimens at any given time. Anything more than that and the hobby turns into a task for me, not good.
Agreed. My limit is 60. Everyone has their personal limit. Some can comfortably manage 100's.

Others get way in over their heads and collect them like Pokémon. Then they fail to look after them properly. I've seen photos posted on other platforms where people with big collections are showing off t's that they've found literally just moulted, yet there are live crickets, empty dried out water dishes, and boluses in the enclosure.

If people can't provide a basic standard of care, to me that's animal cruelty, not just neglect. Makes me mad.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Agreed. My limit is 60. Everyone has their personal limit. Some can comfortably manage 100's.

Others get way in over their heads and collect them like Pokémon. Then they fail to look after them properly. I've seen photos posted on other platforms where people with big collections are showing off t's that they've found literally just moulted, yet there are live crickets, empty dried out water dishes, and boluses in the enclosure.

If people can't provide a basic standard of care, to me that's animal cruelty, not just neglect. Makes me mad.
Max 60, also my number - but I don't count males and slings...

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I had 61 a little while ago and was starting to feel...overwhelmed is too strong a word, but like I had a lot on my plate.

I'm down to 57 now, and it will keep going down for a while as MMs pass away. I think 50 is a nice max number for me. Enough to see plenty of different things, but not so many that I really feel the maintenance/task work hanging over me.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
The current inventory (plus some slings)

0.1.0 A. geniculata
0.0.1 B. simoroxigorum
0.0.1 B. emilia
0.1.1 B. hamorii
0.1.1 C. versicolor
0.0.2 C. darlingi
1.1.0 C. kaeng krachan
0.1.2 C. cyaneopubescens
0.0.1 C. elegans
0.0.2 C. hati hati
1.1.0 G. pulchra
0.0.3 H. sp. colombia
0.0.1 H. himalayana
1.1.0 H. pulchripes
0.1.0 H. maculata
0.1.0 I. mira
0.1.0 L. klugi
0.1.0 L. parahybana
0.0.1 N. panamanaus
0.0.3 N. incei
0.0.1 N. incei gold
1.1.0 N. chromatus
0.1.2 P. vespertinus
0.0.2 P. cambridgei
0.1.0 P. ecclesiasticus
0.1.0 P. irminia
0.1.0 P. pulcher
0.1.1 P. murinus
0.0.2 P. sazimai
0.0.1 T. stirmi
1.1.0 T. sp. piura
0.0.1 T. albopilosum
0.1.0 T. cupreus
0.1.1 T. vagans

Polenth

Arachnobaron
Mine's simple as I don't have many and it hasn't been many years. Started with one spiderling. Went up to three later in that year. Lost one of the three last year (no obvious reason... they got all ready to moult and then just didn't). I wouldn't consider more while I'm recovering, but I'm aiming to keep numbers low. I need to consider care time needed for all my animals and the space needed when the tarantulas are adults.