Tarantula's and spider's hygiene

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Your original point was that dogs may be cleaner because they eat processed food and not wild prey. I'm simply pointing out that they also eat their own poo and lick their butts. If you think that makes them cleaner animals than Ts thats fine by me :)
I'm not talking about cleaner overall animals, I'm talking about cleaner bites. I said that back in post #11.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Dogs will also chew on a bone they buried in the yard for a week earlier as well. The mouth could be pretty nasty if it bites someone.

I still feel fairly confident that a tarantula that doesn't eat as often as other animals will naturally have a little less opportunities to get the worst possible bacteria for a bite. But to fairly analyze this I suppose we would have to do lots of research on the prey and other cohabitants living nearby for different living creatures since availability of the worse type of bacteria is the key.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
I'm not talking about cleaner overall animals, I'm talking about cleaner bites. I said that back in post #11.
And I'm saying that a dog that bites with his mouth might have poo stuck in his teeth because he forgot to floss after eating his last bowel movement.... sounds like a pretty dirty bite to me.

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
One of the reasons most animal bites cause infection is the bacteria in there mouths. The reason for that is really simple, A mouth is a closed , warm and moist environment. Exactly what bacteria needs to flourish. Not just grow but flourish.
A tarantulas fangs are not in a closed environment but out in the open, therefore less chance of growing bacteria.
Having said that all deep puncture wounds should be treated as if they are infected.

patriotgator

Arachnopeon
I see my Ts groom themselves after they eat and they keep they're cages pretty clean.

ediblepain

Arachnosquire
My great pyrenees loves rolling in dead animals. I'm pretty sure Ts don't roll in corpse juice for fun.

GingerC

Arachnosquire
My folks have a cat that gets more wild birds for food than it does cat food. But it doesn't help that a bird bath is in their yard making them a perfect target.
Make that "responsibly owned" pets, then. ;)

GingerC

Arachnosquire
A tarantula fang probably isn't the best place to culture bacteria, given that it's basically just a syringe full of venom rather than a mouth. Anything that goes on the fang goes inside the tarantula, so if they can indeed accumulate a significant amount/arrangement of bacteria, they most likely have some method of cleaning them; perhaps by rubbing them with the pedipalps? My jumping spider tends to do that after eating.

Leila

Arachnobaron
My folks have a cat that gets more wild birds for food than it does cat food. But it doesn't help that a bird bath is in their yard making them a perfect target.
My cat never seems to consume the birds he catches- not saying this to discredit your above text. :) He brings them to me as 'gifts.'

Exhibit A: 20170402_175737-01.jpeg Maybe I am simply using this opportunity as an excuse to show off Luna's gorgeous green eyes lol