Tarantulas and red lights?

Jmanbeing93

Arachnosquire
How does a red light affect a tarantula? I read on a thread that they can't see red light but I have doubts about that. Has anyone actually observed tarantula behavior while using infrared lighting? What was the difference in behavior?

P.S. Is red lighting bad for T's over long periods of time?

Last edited:

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I've used red lights frequently in the past. I've never seen any jumpy behavior. They just continue doing what they're doing.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
How does a red light affect a tarantula? I read on a thread that they can't see red light but I have doubts about that. Has anyone actually observed tarantula behavior while using infrared lighting? What was the difference in behavior?

P.S. Is infrared lighting bad for T's over long periods of time?
Not infrared, it produces heat. Just use a red led/bulb.

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
image.jpeg My gbb is way more active under the red light. B.vagans and L.P. Don't show much difference in activity levels in day light vs. Red light.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
How does a red light affect a tarantula? I read on a thread that they can't see red light but I have doubts about that.
Here's a post I made about tarantula vision, including which parts of the spectrum are visible.

For a discussion of how spider vision is assessed, see this post.

Has anyone actually observed tarantula behavior while using infrared lighting? What was the difference in behavior?

P.S. Is infrared lighting bad for T's over long periods of time?
I have not specifically tried infrared light, but since they already can't see red light in the visible spectrum, I would be surprised if infrared affected them. That being said, I prefer not to leave any lights shining in the cage for long periods of time. (I just turn on my red flashlight when I want to check on my more light-sensitive tarantulas.)

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I haven't used infrared lights, but I do use red LED lights. I have several skittish arboreal slings beneath them, and they are out and active all the time. My fossorial species will also venture out more beneath red lighting.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How does a red light affect a tarantula?
It doesn't, their eyes do not detect red light, this is published in peer-reviewed scientific literature. If you have your doubts contact scientists who study tarantulas. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not entitled to their own set of alternative "facts".

Has anyone actually observed tarantula behavior while using infrared lighting?
Why would you use infra-red?

Jmanbeing93

Arachnosquire
Why would you use infra-red?
I mean red light, apparently, red light is the not same as infrared light.

@Ungoliant So what exactly can T's actually see? I looked at the chart you posted and looks like they can see green but I am probably reading the chart wrong.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
So what exactly can T's actually see? I looked at the chart you posted and looks like they can see green but I am probably reading the chart wrong.
I'm not sure what chart you are referring to, but the range of 330 and 700 nm includes green and many other colors. Biology of Spiders notes that "the sensitivity was much reduced around 700 nm (i.e., in the red part of the spectrum)."

Jmanbeing93

Arachnosquire
I'm not sure what chart you are referring to, but the range of 330 and 700 nm includes green and many other colors. Biology of Spiders notes that "the sensitivity was much reduced around 700 nm (i.e., in the red part of the spectrum)."
I meant the first chart (where human and tarantula vision were compared side by side)

Can they see green and yellow light by any chance? It would be interesting to see how they behave or react towards green or yellow light.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I meant the first chart (where human and tarantula vision were compared side by side)

Can they see green and yellow light by any chance?
I don't recall posting a chart like that, but they can see green and yellow light.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Uh, you can't observe them with infrared light. Humans can't see infrared either. It's useless.
I assumed he was referring to something like an infrared camera, which converts infrared radiation to visible light.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I realize that, my mistake. I meant red light when I wrote that.
Might want to change that in the OP. Anyway, to answer the question, I have observed my tarantula under a red light and it completely has no idea. Now it is a G. pulchripes that is always outside its hide and isn't afraid of light anyway. Whether it can't see the red light or it just ignores it is a mystery to me.

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Blimey, Viper. What happened? Someone scratch your car? Jump the supermarket queue in front of you? :wideyed:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Blimey, Viper. What happened? Someone scratch your car? Jump the supermarket queue in front of you? :wideyed:
I have no idea what you are referring to. Please clarify if you care.

Nothing happened here to me.

ThisMeansWAR

Arachnosquire
Ultraviolet light / blacklight on the other hand is supposedly very disturbing to tarantulas, like - bordering on torture. I'll see if I can find a source if anyone wants to know more.