• The Review forums are closed to new reviews.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reviews.

Information on how to use our new Reviews section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Tarantulas and Other Arachnids - Marshall, S

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Positive

If the Tarantula Keeper's Guide is the bible for T keepers then this book is the Abridged version. Much shorter that the T Keepers Guide, but just as packed with excellent information for any tarantula keeper. This is the only other book that I feel is a MUST HAVE. If you don't own it, GET IT!!!!

Scott

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
POSITIVE

I think this is the best book I have seen yet. I really wanna see the Schultx and Schultz book everybody talks about because it is probbaly the only one that can rival this one. THis has everything in it that any beginner needs to know and it is a useful reference for those of us with lots of experience but sometimes just like to read up on a few things for reference. I wish more species were discussed though the list seemed kinda slim.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Positive

Excellent book. Great info, many great photos, and a list with detailed descriptions and husbandries for the more popular T's in the hobby. I agree that this is a must have for any hobbyist, begginer or experienced.

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
I have this book:)

A really easy read, my son really enjoyed it.
I like the special chapter on understanding
T's. We both loved the pictures!:}

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Positive

This is a great book. Lots of good sound information in a short format and very inexpensive. Every pet store should have this book for sale. It was 6 dollars at my bookstore!

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
positive

One of the best two books on the market(the other being he TKG). My only problem with this book was Dr Marshall's choice of substrate used in many of the photographs, could possibly lead a beginner to use pine bark chips, AAARRRGGGHHHH.

Cheers,
Steve

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Excellent

A fantastic book overall. I picked this up a number of years ago while working in a pet store. Being the "spider dude" of the store is it was I figured I had better "bone up" on the subject a bit, being that I was getting hit with some questions I wasn't able to answer. It was vastly more informative than the few other books I'd read at that time, and I don't think I've found one to compare to it yet, but I've not yet read the TKG that I am seeing people post about so frequently. I'll have to pick that up in the immidate future and give it a thurough read, but for now, this is probably the best book on T's I've come across.

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Positive

Love it. Use it. Not going to post anything else because I'd just be repeating what everyone else said.

PapaSmurf

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i've got this book also it is one of the best Tarantula books out there great read!

Josh

Arachnoboards

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
Due to a forum bug, some reviews for this book needed to be split off. You can find these reviews here.

Thanks,

The Arachnoboards Team

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
POSITIVE

This book is very informative, considerably cheaper than TKG, (which i haven't bought due to the price discrepency), and as has been siad before, very good, nice pictures, wonderful

Mori

misfitsfiend

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Positive!

I've got it and It would be the first book i would recomend to anyone :D

MountinGal

Arachnopeon
Positive!

Every newbie should read this book, along with the Tarantula Keeper's Guide!

druid8783

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
POSITIVE

I loved it. It's a shorter less technical version than The Tarantula Keepers Guide (also a must have). Great photos and the husbandry tips are great. A must have for any tarantula keeper.

Heartfang

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Positive

This is THE most informative T book for a beginner there is. Period.

tarsier

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Positive

Love the simplicity of the book.

The fact that it has a lot of pics helps too. {D

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Positive

A good book stating all the basics and a little more. Worth the money unless you're already an uber-expert and don't enjoy nice pictures ;)

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
This was my first Tarantula book, and from a newbie's perspective, it was great - I read it twice, cover-to-cover and then realised I knew more than the four pet shops in my area...{D

Just buy the thing, already!{D