Tarantulas and carnivores plants

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I think you already may know the answer to your question.

Last edited:

Hakuna

Arachnoknight
I would recommend against it.

It would entirely depend on the species of plant and T. I personally don’t see the benefits, other than potential aesthetics.

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
1 I do not think a Venus fly trap will harm a t since the t Is bigger then a fly
2. To contribute to the well being of the enclosure

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
the first rule of enclosure design is: design for the animal.

without knowing what species of tarantula is under discussion, we don't even know whether the animal and the plant can thrive under the same conditions.

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
the first rule of enclosure design is: design for the animal.

without knowing what species of tarantula is under discussion, we don't even know whether the animal and the plant can thrive under the same conditions.
Of course. Let’s say a Hysterocrates gigas which does not mind a most environment

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Can't see what benefit the tarantula would get out of it or how it really helps their environment.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
I agree that a larger tarantula would likely not be at risk from the plant, but it doesn't seem like a useful pairing to me. Don't venus flytraps require a fair bit of sunlight? Do you have a plan for achieving this? I can't see how the tarantula will benefit from having a light-loving carnivorous plant in its enclosure. As I understand it, venus flytraps are quite sensitive - it seems like this species is unlikely to do well in conditions optimized for a tarantula.

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
I agree that a larger tarantula would likely not be at risk from the plant, but it doesn't seem like a useful pairing to me. Don't venus flytraps require a fair bit of sunlight? Do you have a plan for achieving this? I can't see how the tarantula will benefit from having a light-loving carnivorous plant in its enclosure. As I understand it, venus flytraps are quite sensitive - it seems like this species is unlikely to do well in conditions optimized for a tarantula.
Yea your probably right. Thinking of it as a regulator but springtails probably work better.

Tarantulafeets

Arachnobaron
When the ts leg goes into the trap, the plant will move, and that might either freak the t out or cause the t to bite the plant, or the leg might get caught, although I'm not sure how strong the plants trap is...

Jess S

Arachnobaron
I think those sharp, savage looking spines on the Venus flytrap would be enough to make me reconsider, as tarantulas abdomens are so delicate and easily ruptured.

These types of plants often emit a scent that attracts flying insects. I personally wouldn’t want to encourage pests into one of my t’s enclosures. I’d rather keep them out.

Having said that, it would look really cool so I can see why you wanted to do it! Maybe have the plants in the t room, on some shelving, and would still look pretty good.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
The issues I see, some of which will be repetitive:
  • VFTs need high light
  • VFTs need permanently waterlogged soil
  • VFTs do better with a winter dormancy
  • VFTs are likely to be harmed by a tarantula's poop and from rotting pieces of prey insects. They don't do well with salty soils
  • VFTs are small, and a tarantula would have no trouble uprooting one
The spines on a VFT's leave are soft, so the tarantula wouldn't be harmed by them; generally, in fact, the one suffering here would be the VFT, which you'd be lucky to get a month out of, not the T, which would be unlikely to care.
Yea your probably right. Thinking of it as a regulator but springtails probably work better.
I don't know what you're trying to regulate, but VFTs are very bad at depressing insect populations anywhere, especially individual. Each leaf can only catch about one insect per week, and they only catch relatively large ones. You're best bet there would be a Nepenthes, probably, but that puts the t at risk and won't fit nicely in an enclosure, aside from needing high light, wet soil with few salts, risk of uprooting, etc.