Tarantula Wont Move Lol

ReapersAvarice

Arachnopeon
I have a brachypelma emilia that won't move she stays at the top of the enclosure on the wire mesh she hasnt eaten in 3 weeks and seems to be scared of crickets as she just runs away and ignores mealworm help plz 20200926_174905.jpg

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
First things first, where is it I don’t see anything in there? <edit> I see it now. How big is it? Did you just get it? If you know, when did it last molt? And does it have a hide?

Last edited:

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
I see it (barely). That cage is very large for a spider that size. A fall from the top could be dangerous. Woven wire mesh isn’t good for the top, because the spider could get claws stuck.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I would rehouse it into much much much smaller size enclosure.

How small? Like 7x7x7” size at least.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Tarantulas like to be in confined spaces. For terrestrials it is important to minimise the distance that they could fall and have the height of the substrate be no more than 1.5 times the legspan of the tarantula between the substrate and the roof of the cage. Secondly terrestrial Ts can get their fangs caught in mesh and lose a leg or fang or even worse. Best to house it in a smaller container that you can cushion more with enough substrate to keep it safe. Hides should primarily be made of a cork bark 'cover' or roof so that they can burrow underneath and through, not a fixed hide that has a bottom to it that they cannot burrow through. Hope this helps. :)

Kitara

Arachnodemon
I would also pack down the substrate. They don't like it fluffy because it makes it feel unstable. (It might be that it's just the picture that makes it look fluffy.)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I strongly suggest you read up on Ts. Looking at your setup I can tell you were informed with crappy info that has put your Ts life in jeopardy, and you haven't research enough about basic T behavior otherwise this question would have been learned.

I have this species, and all Ts don't like being out in the open- that's your setup. Also, the distance from sub to lid should only be 1.5x DLS, if not, your T will fall and die likely. This species packs on a lot of mass, esp females. I know I have an AF. They will drop like a rock, and your Ts NEW NAME WILL BE SPLAT.

Humidity isn't important.

70F is a little cool, but a not an issue, just decreases their metabolic rate. You don't need a heat mat on that if you have 68/70F

Hasn't eaten in 3 weeks- so what.....read up.

If you are looking for a more active animal, you have the wrong type of animal. Get a dog.

Good luck

Last edited:

sasker

Arachnoprince
You were probably sold this enclosure and tarantula by a pet shop, right? Happens a lot. They don't know anything about keeping tarantulas and their main goal is just to sell you as much junk as possible. At least you were not sold an OBT or something else that could do some serious harm if it bites you. I don't see how this terrarium could be useful for any tarantula. Please read up on keeping tarantulas on this forum, as @viper69 said. There is plenty of information for beginners here.

Ic4ru577

Arachnoknight
Enclosure is too big. Something 1/4 to 1/9 of the size will do. Just find something half or third the length, width and height of your current one. Blast with holes on the sides and top. Keep on dry substrate 40-50% of the height and provide water dish and hide. No need for hygrometer.