Tarantula with DKS flipped over

Sofig

Arachnopeon
For the past few days my G Rosea has been exhibiting symptoms of Dyskinetic syndrome, having trouble moving and all. Not long ago she flipped over onto her back. I know this is the standard molting position but since she she seems to be suffering from DKS, should I be worried or is she just molting?

Estein

Arachnoknight
I'm not sure exactly what kind of motion problems your T is having, but it's common for Ts in premolt to get a little slow/clunky with their movements before molting. Hopefully that's all you're seeing and your T will have a successful molt! I agree with @Chris LXXIX--let it be and wait it out. :)

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
It sounds like normal premolt/molt behavior. My GBB has looked on the verge of death for weeks now, but I know she's just in heavy premolt. Nothing you can do anyway - just wait it out.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Ahh.. When will DKS die.. I miss the good old days when people just said my T is acting funny and may be sick then listed some symptoms...

Whatever you do OP don't put it in an ICU unless you plan on doing surgery... That's the same garbage as dks and is more detrimental to a T than the ailment you are trying to alleviate..

Your T is likely molting as most don't flip over to die..

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Ahh.. When will DKS die.. I miss the good old days when people just said my T is acting funny and may be sick then listed some symptoms...

Whatever you do OP don't put it in an ICU unless you plan on doing surgery... That's the same garbage as dks and is more detrimental to a T than the ailment you are trying to alleviate..

Your T is likely molting as most don't flip over to die..
ICU's are most certainly not garbage, albeit sometimes used too early in situations when they wont be needed. surgery def is, ive never heard of a single instance of someone surgically removing a spider from their molt successfully. but in regards to ICU's ive personally had a specimen that was in very poor health which extended several weeks into a full deathcurl for a day. ICU'd her and she made it the next two weeks to her molt, almost certainly wouldnt be here today if i hadnt. i also have several contacts that i know ho have salvaged dying tarantulas using an ICU in extreme cases.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
ICU's are most certainly not garbage, albeit sometimes used too early in situations when they wont be needed. surgery def is, ive never heard of a single instance of someone surgically removing a spider from their molt successfully. but in regards to ICU's ive personally had a specimen that was in very poor health which extended several weeks into a full deathcurl for a day. ICU'd her and she made it the next two weeks to her molt, almost certainly wouldnt be here today if i hadnt. i also have several contacts that i know ho have salvaged dying tarantulas using an ICU in extreme cases.
Ts hate being touched what sence does it make to move them when they are already feeling sick/stressed out? Added stress for nothing.. Just wet the sub in there enclosures....

The surgery thing was a joke my man.. And it eludes to one thing you said That I agree with.. In some very rare cases an ICU can help... 99.9% of the time they are useless and do much more harm then good IMO..

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Agreed, ICU's aren't garbage, but they are way overused. They should only be used in cases of extreme dehydration in non-arid species, which is actually pretty rare (the spider is usually dead by the time people notice dehydration). I'd never put an arid species in an ICU. If I was sure that it was dehydration, I'd bump up their humidity and attempt to manually water them. Putting an arid species in an environment nearing 100% humidity is never a good idea.

Sofig

Arachnopeon
DKS is an internet myth.
Well it's a syndrome, not a disease or something, right?
The symptoms described sound like how my spider had been: Drunken, uncoordinated movement that was not like how she moved before a few days ago

Also: She's still in the corner of the enclosure on her back, it's been about 21 and 1/2 hours or so since she started. I've heard of them taking a long time but is this long normal?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Also: She's still in the corner of the enclosure on her back, it's been about 21 and 1/2 hours or so since she started. I've heard of them taking a long time but is this long normal?
How large is it?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well it's a syndrome, not a disease or something, right?
The symptoms described sound like how my spider had been: Drunken, uncoordinated movement that was not like how she moved before a few days ago

It's nothing but a name put to something hobbyists haven't figured out (I suspect for a variety of reasons, too many to list) and perpetuated by the internet.

Sofig

Arachnopeon
It's been some 24 hours now
But I did see her moving her legs a little bit every now and then

lunarae

Arachnobaron
best I would suggest if it's flipped over, is use a dropper to apply a little moisture at the mouth, if it wants to drink it will. I don't think that will mess to much if it was molting, it certainly wont drown because it's booklungs are at the abdomen. But with it going on 24 and not a sign of molting but on it's back that's the best I would think to do if it was me in that situation. Keep it from dehydrating and see if it comes around on it's own. I don't think I would touch it or move it though.

Sofig

Arachnopeon
I put a drop of wager on her mouth
She has started to rapidly move her legs
Also there is a hair or Web silk or something sticking out of her mouth, is that cause for concern

Sofig

Arachnopeon
She closed her legs in for a minute, then she opens them back up and squirms around for a bit, closed them again, just opened back up

Sofig

Arachnopeon
She's now moving every now and then but they're not as lively, they're small, and shaky, movements