Tarantula Was Injured by Cat

Glitter sparkles

Arachnopeon
My tarantula escaped my setup a few days ago. I came home today to find her in the open on the floor which is a bad thing because I have cats. She has a puncture wound that is dry behind her eyes a bit. Her middle legs are shaking. Is there anything 15788713247022010829841919560071.jpg I can do?

35046.jpeg
This is another picture. The wound is above the second leg from the back, bottom left.

Last edited by a moderator:

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Check to make sure the cat is ok. If the cat bit the tarantula, it may have gotten a mouthful of urticating hairs (or inhaled them, or gotten them in its eyes) - any of which could be very serious and may require immediate veterinary attention. See if the cat is drooling, rubbing at her mouth or eyes with her paws, rubbing her face on the ground, has runny or mattery eyes, is having trouble breathing, experiences difficulty eating or drinking, or displays other signs of distress.

As for the spider, there really isn't much you can do except hope for the best. The wound is dry, so no need to apply corn starch to stop bleeding. Make sure her water dish is full, give her some peace and quiet - and look into ways of making sure this doesn't happen again, by finding a better way to secure her cage so she can't get out, and/or keeping her in a cat-free room.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
It’s been an intense couple of weeks in here with cats and tarantulas as of late.

Glitter sparkles

Arachnopeon
Check to make sure the cat is ok. If the cat bit the tarantula, it may have gotten a mouthful of urticating hairs (or inhaled them, or gotten them in its eyes) - any of which could be very serious and may require immediate veterinary attention. See if the cat is drooling, rubbing at her mouth or eyes with her paws, rubbing her face on the ground, has runny or mattery eyes, is having trouble breathing, experiences difficulty eating or drinking, or displays other signs of distress.

As for the spider, there really isn't much you can do except hope for the best. The wound is dry, so no need to apply corn starch to stop bleeding. Make sure her water dish is full, give her some peace and quiet - and look into ways of making sure this doesn't happen again, by finding a better way to secure her cage so she can't get out, and/or keeping her in a cat-free room.
Thank you very much. I checked both cats immediately. They are fine, thank god. It's clear that the T kicked hairs but I found none on the cats. I am still monitoring them but so far all is normal.
I do admit that it is entirely my fault as there was a small gap in the lid. I will never make that mistake again. I am getting another front opening terrarium tomorrow.
She has been drinking quite a lot of water. I filled it again.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thank you very much. I checked both cats immediately. They are fine, thank god. It's clear that the T kicked hairs but I found none on the cats. I am still monitoring them but so far all is normal.
I do admit that it is entirely my fault as there was a small gap in the lid. I will never make that mistake again. I am getting another front opening terrarium tomorrow.
I'm glad everyone seems to be ok!

Spaceman

Arachnoknight
She looks fine.. after a molt or two she’ll be completely healed up.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Maybe i am missing it, but i don’t see anything...

Are you perhaps mistaking the foveal groove as an injury? That divet on the carapace can be found on almost every species of tarantula, ans is perfectly normal.

Spaceman

Arachnoknight

Are you perhaps mistaking the foveal groove as an injury? That divet on the carapace can be found on almost every species of tarantula, ans is perfectly normal.
That’s what I thought too. Your T might be startled but there doesen’t seem to be any injuries

Glitter sparkles

Arachnopeon

It is hard to see in the picture. I do understand what you are saying. Her groove was not deep though. It is confusing since it is located in the same place but a little to one side. She is clearly scared and needs time left alone to recover which I am giving her. It is like part of her exoskeleton was pushed inward, more crushing then puncture. She is not bleeding but she spasms every now and then. Just the legs nearest the wound. I will make a better assessment tomorrow.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Drinking a lot of water-- this makes me think your T has lost blood and is compensating by drinking water.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
The cat most likely swatted it once with its paw, which cats often do when confronted with something unusual, and caused the wound with one of its claws. I doubt a cat would attempt a bite on (to the cat) a strange creature, but if it did there would normally be two punctures - unless, of course, one of your cats is missing a fang :cat:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Drinking a lot of water-- this makes me think your T has lost blood and is compensating by drinking water.
Or the water is being wicked out. (When my tarantulas drink, even for a long time, I can't see a noticeable drop in the water level in the dish.)

If the substrate around the dish is damp, wicking is a good possibility, especially if you see bits of silk or substrate over the edge of the dish.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Or the water is being wicked out. (When my tarantulas drink, even for a long time, I can't see a noticeable drop in the water level in the dish.)

If the substrate around the dish is damp, wicking is a good possibility, especially if you see bits of silk or substrate over the edge of the dish.
Hard to say with what I read.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I doubt a cat would attempt a bite on (to the cat) a strange creature, but if it did there would normally be two punctures - unless, of course, one of your cats is missing a fang :cat:
That is possible if the cat was fed too soon after it moulted...

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Your tarantula looks like a mature male to me....

Also, looks like he'll be just fine.

Dahlia Rose

Arachnopeon

Can you expand a bit on the dangers to the cats mouth? My cat grabbed an a. Avicularia molt the other day and im a little concerned.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Can you expand a bit on the dangers to the cats mouth? My cat grabbed an a. Avicularia molt the other day and im a little concerned.
If any of the urticating hairs lodged in the cat's nose or mouth, they could cause pain, itching, and inflammation. Just keep an eye on the cat, and if you notice any signs of distress, excessive drooling, vomiting, significant swelling, sneezing, difficulty breathing, or rubbing at her mouth like she's trying to dislodge something, contact your vet.