Tarantula venom question

Gabe Ma

Arachnosquire
Hey guys, I have a question. I am relatively allergic to mosquitoes. Maybe even extremely, I get pretty big swollen bite spots. I was wondering if there would be a huge concern if I were to be bitten my old world/ new world tarantulas. I know misquito and tarantulas are literally different ends of the spectrum. But I wonder if a small mosquito does that much swelling to me, what are the possible affects from a tarantula. I keep species of new worlds, and old worlds including obts, m. Balfouri, etc.

Any help would be appreciated. I know this is a weird question haha.
Thanks arachnoppl!!!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not even the same critter- no one knows they if they will have a bad reaction etc until tagged

Don’t get bit.

Certain OWs species send men to hospitals and change their heart beating/ rhythms

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Have you ever been stung by a bee or a wasp and had an allergic reaction? Typically those are systemic reactions - tongue and throat swelling, airways constricting, heart racing, lightheaded, etc.. I would be more concerned about severe effects from envenomation by a T if you had, because it sounds like your reaction to mosquitos is more localized and topical rather than systemic. If you've had bee sting reactions you probably already have an epipen, which you shouldn't hesitate to use if you start to have a reaction from T bite.

Gabe Ma

Arachnosquire
Icic. When I was younger, just local swelling was what I experienced from a bee/wasp sting. I don’t remember having any other symptoms. Thanks for your input.

8leggednights

Arachnopeon
So I’m strictly New World Ts at this point & I got haired 6/18/2022 by t albo which is NOT on most lists of dangerous or worst urticating setae, but I think you should consider YOUR bodies reaction the bigger unknown. I can post pics of the following week- but i was on lots of Benadryl & steroids to get back to normal. I still have some embedded that I couldn’t tweeze out.
If you react strongly to mosquito & bitey/itchy things… plan for steroids at minimum, trip to minor emergency or ER. I was fortunate that the hairs didn’t get into eyes & or lungs, but if you’re a medically sensitive person take more precautions.

Lurtz

Arachnopeon
Honestly you shouldn’t even bother wondering if you’re allergic. My number 1 thing when dealing with spiders is don’t get bit, keep doing that and you’ll be fine lol

cayen

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, I have a question. I am relatively allergic to mosquitoes. Maybe even extremely, I get pretty big swollen bite spots. I was wondering if there would be a huge concern if I were to be bitten my old world/ new world tarantulas. I know misquito and tarantulas are literally different ends of the spectrum. But I wonder if a small mosquito does that much swelling to me, what are the possible affects from a tarantula. I keep species of new worlds, and old worlds including obts, m. Balfouri, etc.

Any help would be appreciated. I know this is a weird question haha.
Thanks arachnoppl!!!
I've seen people get intentionally bitten for entertainment or something else. I suppose you could get an answer with a little googling like "Difference between mosquito and tarantula bites. "