Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Tarantula toys!

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by greensleeves, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Advertisement
    Now that's good to point out! I wouldn't be surprised if it was cos they thought it was an eggsak!

2. Amoeba

Amoeba Arachnolord

Despite the fact you're quoting someone from 2004.....I tested the ping pong thing a little bit ago in this thread: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?216602-Tarantula-Ping-Pong

My G. rosea would be a terrible mother if your theory is true.

3. Jared781

Jared781 Arachnobaron

COOL :)
    here's what im goin to do::

Walk to kitchen ----> Open junk drawer ----> Find Ping-Pong Ball ----> Pick up ----> sanitize ----> Toss it too my T :D :D lOl

4. Kraine

Kraine Arachnosquire

I am so trying this. Maybe I'll use wooden bird toys with no enamel or paint if I can't find a ping pong ball. My g. pulchra loves (and by "loves" I mean tends to do this often and with gusto) to rearrange his dirt, shelter, and even water (he puts dirt in the water bowl and spreads the soaked dirt around his enclosure). Maybe I'll get to watch some more antics if I give him a toy. :]

5. I'm very curious about this too, so I put paper balls in with my G. rosea and A. schmidti to see if they'll interact with them somehow. Should be interesting.

6. ElfDa

ElfDa Arachnopeon

7. Kraine

Kraine Arachnosquire

Update:

I put a ping-pong ball in with my little g. pulchra male, and he's moved it around his enclosure a couple times. Once to the corner that was closest to me, and then in the morning I found it in his water dish. Not sure what the point of that was, but it's pretty amusing.

Hopefully I can actually catch him doing it! It'd be funny to watch him push that big thing around. Haha.

8. Jared781

Jared781 Arachnobaron

hey what about a Golf Ball?

9. Storm76

Storm76 Arachnoemperor

For me that sounds mostly amusing for the keeper, the poor T is most likely just following her natural instincs trying to make some sense of that weird thing in her tank...

10. OBT1

OBT1 Arachnosquire

LA
    That is something to consider

11. ElfDa

ElfDa Arachnopeon

oh, I dunno; a little variety is always good. new stimuli and all that.

I offered my ball python an old kitten heel shoe and after thoroughly investigating it, she decided it was a snake bed and slept in it for weeks... until she slept in it after a shedding soak and made it nasty.

My ~3" b. albopilosum sling just got his first water bowl and seems to think it is a foot bath, exclusively. He also really seemed to enjoy flower pots (and a NyQuil cup) in his old enclosures; webbing them thoroughly and sleeping in them. They can't see the object, but they can feel the different textures.
    Chewbacca has had a glazed ceramic pot, a terra cotta pot, a NyQuil cup (unused), and a plastic flower pot and, while he would hide in them, he didn't always web them that much.

The plastic flower pot was quite popular, especially once he'd figured out that he could walk up and over "Mt Flower Pot", but the glazed ceramic one was nearly half-obscured by silk and was then tunneled under.

He has a stick and a water "dish", now, and spends most of his time sitting on the wall of his enclosure, now touching either object. maybe I'll give him back his old ceramic pot?

It's nice to watch him explore new items/hides in his environment (and then conquer by webbing it thoroughly and standing atop it).
    Hey; leaves fall in nature and can be used as hides-- maybe checking out and appropriating new hides and objects for their hides is part of their natural behavior?

Man, I wish I'd gone to science route, instead of art; I could be squatting in a jungle, watching Ts and recording their (weekly?) movements, right now.
    ...or hip-deep in grant papers.

12. Kraine

Kraine Arachnosquire

You call it a "poor" T when nobody has done a study to see whether ping pong balls/random stimuli negatively effect them or not.

People put plastic plants in tanks all the time for their own designs and amusement. How's that different? xD

• Like Like x 1
  13. BCscorp

BCscorp Arachnoprince Old Timer

Probably because people putting plastic plants in an enclosure has more to do with providing some semblance of their natural environment and providing places to hide than decorating it for their own amusement.

• Like Like x 1
  14. OBT1

OBT1 Arachnosquire

LA
    Mine loves ping pong balls apparently!:biggrin:

15. Theist 17

Theist 17 Arachnosquire

I put a small round bead in my G. pulchripes enclosure tonight to see what would happen, but nothing special has happened so far. Just walking over our around it since I put it in there.

16. SPIDERBYTE

SPIDERBYTE Arachnoknight Old Timer

Fake golfball rolled around cage.

My A.seemanni likes to use it as a "door" to her lair when she wants privacy :lol
    Its not the kind full of holes, but just hollow, similar to a ping pong ball, but larger.

17. Smokehound714

Smokehound714 Arachnoking Active Member

My aphonos all will dump their water dish and lodge it into their hides.. It stops getting cute after it becomes annoying lol

• Like Like x 1
  18. I see this is an old thread that got bumped but I'm still wide-eyed at the person who thought putting their T in a hamster ball and letting it roll around the house for hours was a good idea...

I guess as long as she was "loving it," it's all good. :eek:

19. Formerphobe

Formerphobe Arachnoking Arachnosupporter

Funny that this thread should be resurrected today. I noticed this morning that my LP has dragged her ping pong ball out of hiding (I think she'd buried it), and has been moving it about her enclosure.

20. My female B.smithi does that. :/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.