Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Tarantula toys!

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by greensleeves, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Advertisement
    Inspired by the story of that B. smithi that likes to roll her water dish around, I decided to get my adult rosehair a toy to see what she did with it.

I picked her up a pingpong ball and washed it really well to make sure it didn't have any contaminants, and then I just left it in her container. She didn't do too much with it at first, but I would catch it at different places, presumably because she was moving it around. Sometimes it would be in her hide, sometimes on top of it, sometimes in her water dish.

Right now she's really fiddling with it a lot - she has it in her water dish and she's rolling it over and over and over again, almost as if she's using it like a tarantula exercise machine! {D

It doesn't seem to be bothering her to have it around - in fact, she has been more active "playing" with her toy. Maybe this is the solution to the "pet rock" syndrome. :D

Greensleeves

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo Arachnoking Old Timer

Hmmm....I wonder if there is a niche in the petstores for tarantula toys? :)

I really like your idea. I think that I will get some ping pong balls for my spiders some day.

Jon

3. ChrisNCT

ChrisNCT ChrisinTennessee Arachnosupporter

Funny

I wonder what my T. Blondis would do to the ping pong bals?

4. Ker

Ker Arachnoknight

That is great.. Im going to have to try that!! That is also something that I would love to see pics of..

5. Mike H.

Mike H. Arachnoprince Old Timer

Probably EAT it...lol...

Regards, Mike :rolleyes:

6. T_DORKUS

T_DORKUS Arachnobaron Old Timer

I got some ping pong balls too after reading Kelly's water dish thread. Unfortunately mine doesn't play with it. The cricket on the other hand has taken to using it as a toilet bowl. :(

7. JohnxII

JohnxII Avicoholic Old Timer

I'd like to see some videos of seal-like stunts...

8. manville

manville Arachnoking Old Timer

That would be cool seeing your tarantula playing with a ping pong ball

9. Pixie

Pixie Arachnoknight

Nice!!!

I haven't gotten around to getting some ping pong balls myself, I know a couple of mine will play with them as they are quite active already, namely my b. smithi!

Pixie

10. kellygirl

kellygirl Arachnoprince Old Timer

NC
    My B. smithi is inspiration! She's growing up so fast... *tears of joy*

Be sure to post pics! :)

-Kelly

11. bonny

bonny Arachnopeon

for my birthday a friend gave me a fake tarantula...but it looked real...to try and get my tarantula to molt....i don't really understand her thinking but oh well....anyways she put it in my rosie's cage after washing it.....my tarantula attacked it and was extreamly agitated...so i took it out right away....but then i read this thread and decided to try it....so i gave my rosie a pingpong ball last night . i dropped it on the oposite end of her tank from her.......and immediatly she ran accross her tank and pouncd on it! this is the most i've ever seen her move in almost a year....so i'm happy {D and later last night she accuallyt climbed up the side of her tank!!! and this mornigshe was spinning a molt mat.... thanks for this idea i hope she will molt tonight

12. MizM

MizM Arachnoprincess Old Timer

I thought I had heard EVERYTHING! {D How fun... um gotta go, need to get to Big 5 Sporting Goods!!

CM, any scientific comments on this? What do YOU think a T thinks when it sees a giant white round thing in it's enclosure?

13. WayneT

WayneT Arachnoangel Old Timer

{D You have GOT to get a pic or two of that! I might try it with my T. blondis and see what happens...(mmm...maybe I ought to get a tennis ball for them, come to think of it.)

14. conipto

conipto ArachnoPrincess Old Timer

Someone put this up about a year ago.. I tried it with 4 adults, and of all of them, only my parahybana really took to messing with the thing. The curly hair would move it around, and the haplopelma wound up making it into part of it's burrow.

Bill

15. leo3375

leo3375 Arachnosquire Old Timer

I should try this and see if my T will play with it.

16. Kali

Kali Arachnoknight Old Timer

i think mine are holding out for a tiny gamecube.

kristin

17. Bwahahahaha! {D :D

Greensleeves

18. Do you think It'd work with emperor scorpions?

19. Malhavoc's

Malhavoc's Arachnoking Old Timer

Perhaps they think its an egg sac?

20. I give my arachnids plenty of toys. Crickets, beetles, meal worms... {D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.