tarantula temperment? L. parahybana, A. geniculata

Dash-Kid

Arachnopeon
Hi! im going to buy 4 slings in a couple of months and i was wondering about their temperments.
I plan to get a lasiodora parahybana, grammostola aureostriata, acanthoscurria geniculata and a brachypelma vagans. they only two im somewhat worried about is the lasiodora parahybana and the acanthoscurria geniculata. i heard a bunch of different things about their temperment so im somewhat confused. :?

rbailey1010

Arachnopeon
I own both of these species....LPs and A. genics are both skittish by nature.....will readily flick hairs!

rbailey1010

Arachnopeon
No, not that I have ever seen......Since they are new world Ts, they'd rather flick hairs and try to flee.....

I am sure someone around here has gotten a threat posture but I have never experience one....

PitViper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have had 9 L. Para slings since they were 2nd instar, they are about 2 inches now and they are skittish but attack food great. I also have a 4 inch L. Para that will attack anything that goes near it, it will go after the water while I pour it in its water dish.

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Skittish certainly does best describe my L.P. And yes, I have gotten a threat from it but it was more cute than intimidating.

rbailey1010

Arachnopeon
Thats because LP are aggressive eaters! They use their sense of touch to detect and capture food.....It doesnt describe their temperament as a whole......They are def. a skittish species as well as the A. genics

I am sure if you negligently put your hand down there without caution, you will get tagged.....but they are nowhere near an OBT, Cobalt Blue, and King Baboon!

Projecht13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
grammostola aureostriata, is now known as grammostola pulchripes and im excited for you! one of the best t's to own. BUT all 4 of those t's are known to be skittish and all 4 can kick hairs. All good choices tho.

Dash-Kid

Arachnopeon
so if i ever need to handle them should i use a deli cup and get them out then try to handle? and while im at it, how often should i feed the different species? i have been having a hard time finding the answers. thanks! =)

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Grammostola plchripes aren't known to be skittish. They are one of the most docile species. They are great. My girlfriend and I both have one and they are VERY docile. Mine has kicked hairs only a few times, and my girlfriends has not, and they have yet to throw any threat postures. Great species and extremely docile.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Dash Kid, My A geniculata is rather docile but is greedy and can be very prey aggressive. I do not have L parahybana but my L klugi is quite defensive most of the time. I hear alot of mixed opinions on L. para's. Tommy (Redneck) has a large, beautiful female that seems as tame as a Jack Russell, though. {D
I've seen quite a few handling pics or vids of L parahybana and klugi. Evidently, neither spp are anywhere near as defensive on average than say, some nw arboreals or most ow spp in general. :)

Terry

p.s Feeding- a prey item no larger than they are once a week will suffice. I usually feed 2-3 times a week until they reach at least 3" but keep them slightly warmer than many while doing so. There are many debates you'll find via the search function on pros and cons of powerfeeding- and much less, imop, than there should be on UNDERfeeding.

Last edited:

Tindalos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ive handled all the mentioned species in this thread
and i have personally come to the conclusion (doesn't mean its true)
temperament really does not matter.
doesn't mean you should get cocky though
if you dont harass or stress the spider you are fine.
ive even handled plenty of old worlds
remember that anything in its environment is either food or a threat.
so i keep my distant when it feeding and watering time
no matter what species.

but you have the desire it is possible to handle skittish T's just keep it outside of its environment. and on the floor.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i wouldn't want to mess with the LP too much due to urticating hairs alone.

i'm surprised no one has mentioned about the vagans yet. from what i've seen and heard you get a 50/50 toss up of having a sweetheart or a demon, so good luck with that. mine runs on the demon side, likes to slap and kick and generally just be a fast little pissy twat.

also i think i heard that vagan's u-hairs aren't as bad as other brachys, but i can't tell the difference myself when i get haired by my bohemei, smithi or vagans. dang brachypelmas, so pretty but so itchy... :(

nhdjoseywales

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Both species have pretty nasty hairs. My genic almost sent me to the hospital one night when i was taking pics of it shirtless and the airborne hairs gave me hives. I also react similarly to my parahybanas. I cant say they are really aggressive, but definitely skittish and when they want to they can teleport across a small distance and be out of a cage in an instant.

That being said, they are fabulous display spiders and have never burrowed or taken advantage of a pre-made hide or cave.

Tindalos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i wouldn't want to mess with the LP too much due to urticating hairs alone.

i'm surprised no one has mentioned about the vagans yet. from what i've seen and heard you get a 50/50 toss up of having a sweetheart or a demon, so good luck with that. mine runs on the demon side, likes to slap and kick and generally just be a fast little pissy twat.

also i think i heard that vagan's u-hairs aren't as bad as other brachys, but i can't tell the difference myself when i get haired by my bohemei, smithi or vagans. dang brachypelmas, so pretty but so itchy... :(

ive messed around with several vagans before. they are demons inside the enclosure but once you can get outside of the cage they are sweethearts.

brian abrams

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
New Slings

As far as temperaments go, the Chaco's are as docile as can be. The other 3 mentioned all all VERY prey aggressive (especially the Genic & Vagans). I'd say the LP is the most skittish, with the Vagans the least skittish, but most likely to throw up a threat posture. ALL are very good choices, however.

Arachnos482

Arachnosquire
I have a b. vagans, she is generally defensive, was even more so when she was a juvie, seems to get better as she matures, but don't mess with her burrow, some vicious action when cleaning near her burrow, no hair flicking, no threat pose, just straight attack, luckily a nice pair of 6" tongs...

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Every parahybana I have ever had has made me break out in a rash from it's hairs.They also had a foul attitude as well.

Lapidary

Arachnopeon
The other day I was rehousing my MF A. geniculata and didn't think it would be such a bad idea to pick her up with my bare hands (since she has mostly been quite calm), but the second she was out of the cage she started kicking hairs. I mean, a lot. I could see how the air of my room quickly filled with urticating hairs, so I had to squint my eyes and hold my breath 'till she was in her new home. I have to admit I was quite surprised Alexa reacted that way, but then again I don't really handle my Ts almost at all. But anyway, I won't be forgetting any time soon how it feels to have u-hairs in my face...

As for Lasiodora parahybana, I agree with what has been said here. They make great display animals, mine has never used her hide. What I really like about them is that LPs are - at least the one I have - very active, actually I don't think there has been a single day when I wouldn't have seen Shamra strolling around. But their nature is a totally different thing. It seems like Shamra hates everything and everyone. :D I was rehousing her and used a brush to push her gently forward, or at least that's what I intended to do. The very moment the brush lightly touched her leg, she turned around and literally started pulling the bursh and almost climbed up to my hand. It really got my heart racing since her teeth are gigantic and I've seen she clearly doesn't hesitate to use them, haha.

So in my experience A. geniciculatas are prone to kick some hairs whereas LPs don't really do that. They just like to play all crazy. :D