Tarantula Temperatures

DPetsche

Arachnopeon
Hey guys.

I've read a lot about how the temperatures that Ts are kept in is never really that big of an issue as they can handle temperatures very well as long as they're not really high. I live in Texas and some as you may know, there really is no exact temperature or weather setting to Texas, it changes every 5 minutes. Because of this, I'm a little worried to keep my Ts just out in my room since I'm a bit paranoid. I had them all set up in a tote with a very small heat pad tied around a glass for heat circulation but it only kept them at around 70 to 75 so I didn't really think it made much of a difference in the end. Plus, I have too many to keep them all in such a small space.

My main question is, am I just being paranoid about the temperatures? I can't really get a space heater for my room as I would practically die, and I don't have another room that I can move them to without it being a lot of stressful commotion for them in the room on a consistent basis. So would it be fine for them to just be with the temperature of my room? It's usually between 70 and 75 just like the tote setup was.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
70-75 is plenty :) i have around 72-3 througout the year in my room and never had an issue. Basic rule of thumb is if youre comfortable in a tshirt, the spiders will be good as well. I mean, that is if you are averagely resiliant towards cold :p

Trenor

Arachnoprince
My T room stays 78-82ish year around and they are all doing well. Your Ts should be fine at the temps listed.

DPetsche

Arachnopeon
70-75 is plenty :) i have around 72-3 througout the year in my room and never had an issue. Basic rule of thumb is if youre comfortable in a tshirt, the spiders will be good as well. I mean, that is if you are averagely resiliant towards cold :p
Thank you, I'm glad to hear I'm just paranoid. I tend to like it a bit colder but I'm more generally comfortable with the room temperature so we should be all good then.

cold blood

Staff member
Basic rule of thumb is if youre comfortable in a tshirt, the spiders will be good as well. I mean, that is if you are averagely resiliant towards cold :p
There was a time when this was true, but now 1. slings are much more prevalent, and 2. We have a lot more tropical species than we used to. That said, 70 is pretty much the safe line with the vast majority of species as well as slings. I say this because a lot of people are very comfortable at much lower temps than a lot of species.

To answer temp questions we need to know which species you are keeping and what sizes they are and specifically what your lowest temps are.

Now you live in TX, so I am puzzled at this concern...your temps should be fine as long as you don't live in a tent....just keep the windows closed when it cools down.:D

The way you are attempting to offer heat is a horrible way to go about it though...not horrible for heating, just for the survival of the tarantulas wrapped up in that heat pad.

A space heater is commonly used because its the best for the animals, and at low settings are actually a low draw on power...and its not like you need to get it to 80, you just need a slight boost and only at times.

DPetsche

Arachnopeon
There was a time when this was true, but now 1. slings are much more prevalent, and 2. We have a lot more tropical species than we used to. That said, 70 is pretty much the safe line with the vast majority of species as well as slings. I say this because a lot of people are very comfortable at much lower temps than a lot of species.

To answer temp questions we need to know which species you are keeping and what sizes they are and specifically what your lowest temps are.

Now you live in TX, so I am puzzled at this concern...your tempos should be fine as long as you don't live in a tent....just keep the windows closed when it cools down.

The way you are attempting to offer heat is a horrible way to go about it though...not horrible for heating, just for the survival of the tarantulas wrapped up in that heat pad.

A space heater is commonly used because its the best for the animals, and at low settings are actually a low draw on power...and its not like you need to get it to 80, you just need a slight boost and only at times.
You must've misunderstood. I'm not wrapping any enclosures in anything, there is an empty glass with a small heat pad around it to make the heat circulate. Also my issue with the Texas weather isn't the warmth, it gets plenty warm enough. Well into the 90s and even 100s from time to time. It's the fact that it's never consistent. It may be boiling hot one day and snowing the next.

cold blood

Staff member
You must've misunderstood. I'm not wrapping any enclosures in anything, there is an empty glass with a small heat pad around it to make the heat circulate. Also my issue with the Texas weather isn't the warmth, it gets plenty warm enough. Well into the 90s and even 100s from time to time. It's the fact that it's never consistent. It may be boiling hot one day and snowing the next.
Yep, totally misunderstood.:happy:

The biggest key to lower temps at night, is warm day temps...which you have...I wouldn't stress it, I would just keep them in the warmest/least drafty place at night....fluctuations are fine, completely natural....many keepers intentionally cool their ts to the high 60s at night and bring day temps up.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I keep a space heater set at 74. That's where my spider room stays all year. Well, temps range between 72-75 all the time.

DPetsche

Arachnopeon
Yep, totally misunderstood.:happy:

The biggest key to lower temps at night, is warm day temps...which you have...I wouldn't stress it, I would just keep them in the warmest/least drafty place at night....fluctuations are fine, completely natural....many keepers intentionally cool their ts to the high 60s at night and bring day temps up.
Okay, thank you for your help! I knew I was being a bit on the paranoid side haha.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Now you live in TX, so I am puzzled at this concern...your temps should be fine as long as you don't live in a tent....just keep the windows closed when it cools down.:D
Texas sometimes can be a cold land... until the moment that the chainsaw of Leatherface start to sing or bullets fly free in the fresh air.

Alamo! Lone Star! :cigar:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
We have the same problem here in South Carolina. But I have noticed that when it drops to 50 outside it only drops a few degrees indoors if I have the thermostat set on COOL at 74. I still try to toggle the thermostat back and forth between HEAT and COOL if I can to satisfy my paranoia.

DPetsche

Arachnopeon
We have the same problem here in South Carolina. But I have noticed that when it drops to 50 outside it only drops a few degrees indoors if I have the thermostat set on COOL at 74. I still try to toggle the thermostat back and forth between HEAT and COOL if I can to satisfy my paranoia.
The temperature fluctuations just suck don't they!? Not just for the animals that we oh so carefully take care of, but for ourselves. It's a good day, you're planning on going swimming. Not a cloud in sight and it's a nice 75-80 degrees out. You walk outside, the pool is frozen over.