Tarantula Taxidermy

Tessa Clifton

Arachnosquire
Finally figured out a good way to taxidermy a tarantula. This Phormictopus Cancerides died in transport to me, so I decided to try and preserve her, without wet preserving. I don't think wet preserved specimens look the best, so I wanted to figure out how to do it dry. I ended up cutting the bottom of the abdomen open, stuffing it full of cotten, and supergluing it shut. I then pinned out the legs, spinnerets, and pedipalps in the position I wanted. After about a month of drying time, this is the final result. I'm pretty happy! IMG_1081.jpg IMG_1082.jpg

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Yes, she does look good, but doesn't she smell? There is still soft tissue in the carapace that didn't get removed. Where did you dry her?

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Stop handling your tarantulas! They can be injured. Oh...sorry.

Tessa Clifton

Arachnosquire
She actually doesn't smell at all. I keep her in a case so she doesn't get dusty, but I just left her in a closet for a month to dry her.

I didn't decide to take the meat out of the carapace because it was hard and wouldn't shrink when the meat dried up, but its kinda the same principle as drying out a butterfly or moth specimen with a large abdomen, if you leave them for a while in a place where bugs can't get them, then they usually don't smell or rot.

Last edited by a moderator: