Tarantula Suicide?

Prometheus

Arachnoknight
What are the conditions in the enclosure, temp/humidity and the such. If it hangin by the old water cooler alot sounds to me that it may be to dry in there for it. (I am aware it's a Rosie) Or it is just trying to be social :) j/k

Jared781

Arachnobaron
He obviously didnt "commit suicide" he probably fell in the water dish when he was taking a drink.... The water dish was too big! or something

Shay

Arachnopeon
rose hairs dont usually go up into the top of the aquarium as i have seen from personal experience. they are terrestrial so they usually just stick around in there hide.. the "pet rock" haha. maybe if there substrate was to wet and it was trying to get to the top for warmth maybe..........it does sound like she is drinking. maybe on the verge of dehydration??????? my old MM g rosea past away a while back from dehydration i tried an ICU and everything.....thats my best advice dude... this pertains to gonantula.....

Simon83

Arachnosquire
Sorry to hear about your T :-( I remember reading a thread about someone who kept finding their t upside down in the water dish and eventually it would flip over and carry on with its daily activities. It turned out that the t was actually climbing and kept falling into the water dish. Sadly one of these times was too much of a fall for her and she died. Perhaps the same happened to your t?

On a similar not, does suicide actually exist elsewhere besides humans? I would have thought especially t's are just too wild and automatically programmed to survive that to end it's life just wouldn't even come into any trail of 'thought'.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

Secondly, tarantulas float on water, they have a hydrophobic cuticle which does not allow water to "stick". IF you added a surfactant, like soap, then they can drown.

I suspect there was a molting problem, which led to the observation of "drowning", which is not possible.

I am sorry for your loss.
And right this is what I often read on the german boards...so what's true now? Can slings drown in a waterdish, OR NOT? Someone please clarify!

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
And right this is what I often read on the german boards...so what's true now? Can slings drown in a waterdish, OR NOT? Someone please clarify!
If soap or something similar was present in the dish, it is possible for it to drown. You need something to break the water tension for the water to actually reach the book lungs. Tarantulas do not drown without the breaking of that surface tension. Always make sure to fully rinse all water dishes to ensure this does not happen.