tarantula stuck in molt

kittieheretic

Arachnopeon
our tarantula is stuck in his molt and has been for roughly 48hrs. she/hes less than a yr old(up to a yr) and a mexican red knee. hes got his head and everything off but not his legs. hes on his back and we've upped the humidity of his box by putting a fair amount of water on his substrate and puttin the heatmats on him. its starting to steam up. we opened the box and he has moved a couple of times within the last hr so he is alive still. what we really need to know is how long till he is too hardened to escape, can we help at all and if he cant get the old skin off will he be ok?
we did try to brush a little water onto the old skin on his legs incase it was too dry.
help?!

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Remove the heat mats, they will cause him to overheat

robd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had this happen with a P rufilata sling a couple of weeks ago, when it tried to molt. Pictures would help a great deal in trying to give advice on what to do.

Otherwise, you kind of have to assess the situation on your own. If all of it's legs are stuck, obviously you've got a problem and need to do something about it cause it will have trouble eating. If it's just a couple of legs, the old molt will dry up and become easier to shake off naturally. If it's hanging by enough of a thread, you could take it off with a pair of tweezers, but I would only do that after the T has hardened up, as you run a higher risk of accidentally pulling the leg it's attached to off.

That's my two cents.