Tarantula sticks to water dish for hours

Belinir

Arachnopeon
My Psalmopoeus reduncus seemed alright for a while now. I gave her a much bigger setup after she molted about 4 months ago. In the old setup, which was a simple glass jar with some cork bark and a water dish glued on top for easy refill, I saw her hanging around the water dish every once in a while. Now that she has a much larger tank and an even bigger water dish I sometimes see her bathing in it, dipping her body into the water. She didn't drown yet or anything and she leaves the dish by herself. I just saw her leaving it as I wrote this down and she doesn't seem sluggish at all.

I'm just a bit worried since I could refill her water dish while she was in it and she didn't really care. Has been a while since she took something down too, no signs of premolt though. I suspect that her enclosure might be too dry? It's not like she's in the dish all the time.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
If she isn't eating, and she's spending a lot of time in the water dish, I'd be concerned with a nematode infestation.

Try overfilling the water dish (assuming ventilation is good to avoid stuffy air from upping the humidity).

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm going to guess the humidity in the enclosure is too low. Try overfilling the dish so the substrate in the area is damp and see how she behaves then.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
agree with G pulchra, a tarantula hovering by its water dish is a indicator of low humidity. pour some water onto th sub and see how she reacts in few hours.

Belinir

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I'll try dampening the substrate now. I don't think it's nematodes, or they don't show just yet. I'll monitor her for that anyway, would suck big time if she had them.