Tarantula Staying By Water Dish

MissinTxtr

Arachnopeon
I just got my tarantula and while using it, he was spinning silk and immediately went to the water dish and drank. Now he hasn't moved from beside the dish for quite some time. Is he possibly dehydrated?

Attachments

SysAdmin

Arachnopeon
I just got my tarantula and while using it, he was spinning silk and immediately went to the water dish and drank. Now he hasn't moved from beside the dish for quite some time. Is he possibly dehydrated?
There's nothing wrong with a T staying on one spot for long durations of time, especially with the more docile species.

Is that a G. Rosea you have there anyway? If so, they are known for being "pet rocks"

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
There is too much space for the T to climb upwards (they might fall and injure themselves). Give it some more substrate, a proper water dish and a hide and you will be all set to go :)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Define "quite some time". If it's anything less than a week, then don't worry about it. It looks like you have a B. albopilosum there. They are quite docile and won't move much, but they do appreciate a little extra humidity. If a spider is by the water dish for weeks on end, then you're likely keeping it too dry. I overfill my albo's dish about once every other week.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Loads more sub in there to reduce risk of injury from fall and youre good. :)

It looks healthy. I have many terrestrials that will sit by their waterdish sometimes for weeks.

And seeing as you just got it it will be roaming around a lot and will take week or so to settle. So more sub is very important.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Your T might die if you don't fill up that tank with sub so the distance from sub to lid is 1.5X its diagonal leg distance.

If you have a screen top, you need to replace it as well with some plexi.

Ts remain in the same position for weeks at a time.

I STRONGLY suggest you do research on your cherished pet on this forum, not caresheets or the petstore.

The information you will learn on this forum may save your Ts life some day, and not knowing it may kill your T. An example of this is the substrate comment many of us made.

MissinTxtr

Arachnopeon
Your T might die if you don't fill up that tank with sub so the distance from sub to lid is 1.5X its diagonal leg distance.

If you have a screen top, you need to replace it as well with some plexi.

Ts remain in the same position for weeks at a time.

I STRONGLY suggest you do research on your cherished pet on this forum, not caresheets or the petstore.

The information you will learn on this forum may save your Ts life some day, and not knowing it may kill your T. An example of this is the substrate comment many of us made.
I know about the height problem and I am currently working on a solution for that, but thank you all for your help. I think the pet shop I got the T from didn't give it water and it was just rehydrating but it seems fine now. An yes it is a b. albopilosum.