Tarantula = Spider

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got into an argument today, not a debate, it was an argument, some people can't debate and be civil.

Are Tarantulas spiders? I know they belong to the Arachnae order, or phylum (I know nothing about taxonomy). Sorry for my errors, and feel free to correct me.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I got into an argument today, not a debate, it was an argument, some people can't debate and be civil.

Are Tarantulas spiders? I know they belong to the Arachnae order, or phylum (I know nothing about taxonomy). Sorry for my errors, and feel free to correct me.
last time i checked they were spiders....you must have got into arguement with someone who said they were insects....there are many differences ..i also get into mini arguements at work over the fact that a tarantula is a spider and not a insect...but the people i argue with refuse to READ and do research..oh well...

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
a real tarantula is a wolf spider and not what we refer to as tarantulas in th ehobby lol
but ... a "tarantula" as we keep in the hobby are myglamorphs , Araneae are the "true spiders" so , there may be cause to say a "tarantula" is not a spider.
i am sure someone else on the boards has much more info about htis than i do lol

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It depends on if you use a big "T" or a little "t" and if you decide to use italics or not.... :confused: like in the Tarantula Keepers Guide...

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
a real tarantula is a wolf spider and not what we refer to as tarantulas in th ehobby lol
First, lets clear this up. 'Tarantula' is now being used widely enough to mean, in America atleast, Hairy Mygalamorphs, or Theraphosids. Language is morphic, it changes. We here never refer to the wolf spider in question as a 'tarantula'. What they do in Europe is their business.;) (joke Lelle)

Second, yes, Tarantulas are 'spiders'. But not 'True spiders'.

-Sean

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Then I have to ask, what is a True Spider? What makes a True Spider what it is?

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A spider is any creature with 8 legs, chelicerae, and venom glands in the chelicerae. The difference between true spiders and tarantulas and their relatives is that in "true" spider the fangs point toward each other like pincers, and T's fangs curve back slightly. They are all spiders though.

Boo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
everything with 8 legs is a arachnid, so yes tarantula's are spiders.

Alain
Are you saying all arachnid are spiders ?

um isn't that arachnid is anything with eight legs ?
Arachnid include spiders, scorpions, harvestmen, ticks, and mites.

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
okay, i think this might help...

arachnids_____________________________ insects
/ ______ \ ___________________________ /_____\
spiders____other (like scorpians)_____somethin'___or other
/ ____ \
Ts____true spiders

the lines arebecause it didn't want to use spaces... :p

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
its just a name some will try and make a argument out of it all i can say is if its your pet or pets who cares and do some people HAVE a life:? :? :wall: :wall: :( :( ===== phil

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I could of swore I read true spiders have 4 spinnerettes, and T's only have 2. That being one of the primary differences...

Where's Code Monkey when you need him ?

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
I could of swore I read true spiders have 4 spinnerettes, and T's only have 2. That being one of the primary differences...
T's have four.
There are many attributes of tarantulas that differentiate them from true spiders. Tarantulas are considered more primitive, (larger size). Less potent venom, chelicerae attached sticking out from front of head, fangs that work vertically, two pairs of book lungs, among other things.

-Sean

Last edited:

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Think of it this way.

There are arachnids. In Arachnids are scorpions(and other thingies but I'm simplifying) and spiders. In spiders, are the Tarantulas (as well as other groups of spiders). So Tarantulas are a sub-set of spiders. And spiders are a sub-set of arachnids.

(Arachnids are a sub-set of invertebrates and invertebrates are a sub-set of animals, which are a sub-set of life).

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member

Simply, yes, a tarantula is a spider because it has 4 pairs of walking legs, two body segments joined with a "waist" called a pedicile, and has silk producing organs.

Characters of an Arachnid:
- Wingless
- Four pair of walking legs
- Two body segments

Characters of a spider (Araneae):
All characters of an arachnid plus
- The two body segments joined with a narrow waist called a pedicile
- Has silk producing organs

Characters of a tarantula (Theraphosidae):
We skipped many taxon to get to the good stuff. This is what separates a tarantula from other spiders:
- Breath using two pairs of book lungs
- Have two claws and scopulae on each "foot" (tarsi)
- Fangs that move up and down

To hit on a point made previously, presence of venom glands in the chelicerae is not a character specific to the araneae. Spiders in the families Uloboridae, Holarchaeidae, and spiders in the suborder Mesothelae lack venom glands.

- Lonnie