Tarantula Speed

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How does the speed of a Haplaploma species or a Pternicholus species compare to that of a Psalamapoes species?

Big Dragonfly

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have no experience with Haplopelma but Psalmopoeus is faster then Pterinochilus from my observations.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Both my Haplopelma and my Psalmopeus are probably too small to tell, but from what I've seen, the 1/2 inch H. lividum is faster by far than the 2" P. irminia that I have.

For what it's worth.

Bill

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
turbo

I wish I had the expierence to tell you , but I do know Turbo (my bloodleg ) is the fastest thing on 8 legs I have ever encountured.

shrugs-
loo

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
good question....I have only had to chase down 2 out of the 3 species, so I'm not sure about the Haplopelma speed. I *do* know, however, that the P cambridgei, and the P murinus were FAST...
How fast, you ask?!
Well, good question, fast enough where I didn't think I was going to ever catch them. With the adrenaline pumping, don't know that I can objectively compare, they were both damn fast!

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
How does the speed of a Haplaploma species or a Pternicholus species compare to that of a Psalamapoes species?

Big Dragonfly
Interesting question! I'd vote for Psalmopoeus myself, but I think we need to take this out of the realm of speculation and get some hard evidence. Botar, can you borrow a radar gun? ;)

Joy

minax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Very witty Joy!! thanks for the humor! That is a great idea! I have all three said species, and I believe that they have different types/varieties of speed. One may be quicker, the other slightly faster; maybe because of the variance of habitat? As a sprinter(former), there is a lot of different ways to be fast. Some people are quick, no top speed, others are the opposite. Then you have the genetic mutants who have both speed/quickness. Maybe the P.cambridgei has the best combination?:)

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the only thing faster than any of my t's when they are at full speed would have to be.......uh.........my hand!!!!!!!!

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The two spiders I vote for fastest are:

Terrestrial: Any Ephebopus species, especially cyanognathus. I have *never* in 20 years of keeping spiders seen anything as fast or as long-winded (they can cover an entire room without stopping).

Arboreal: Stromatopelma calceatum. No question. These wicked things almost seem to teleport from place to place, they're so fast.

And here's the new one I just got in this morning!

Attachments

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by invertepet
The two spiders I vote for fastest are:

Terrestrial: Any Ephebopus species, especially cyanognathus. I have *never* in 20 years of keeping spiders seen anything as fast or as long-winded (they can cover an entire room without stopping).

Arboreal: Stromatopelma calceatum. No question. These wicked things almost seem to teleport from place to place, they're so fast.

And here's the new one I just got in this morning!
I get it now: that striation on the legs is racing stripes ;)

Joy

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My Haplopelmas and P. irminia are all pretty speedy, but don't seem to have the endurance/speed combo that my E. rufescens has. I spent a very long 20 minutes chasing Poe around the room when he/she made a mad dash for freedom during a cleaning.

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My C. Paganus is the fastest I have worked with... LIGHTNING fast tarantula!!

My Seemani is quite a speedster too... havent had the pleasure of dealing with a skeleton T yet though, but who knows what Santa will bring me (or what I will order myself for Xmas I should say hehehe)

Thats the bitch about being a dealer... I spend more than I make on T's for myself!!

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmmm,,,

Hi

My P.Irminia is really fast,,the Usambaras one can at least "see" moving , but the Irminia is kinda one-stop-frame move.

One second it sits "there" and next it is "over-there".:)

The movement inbetween doesn't show.