Tarantula speech at school - Went great!

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So I had to do a speech in my communications class and I decided to do it on tarantulas. It had to meet three criteria:

Explain the background
Importance in my life
plans for future

I provided them with the history of tarantulas and a brief description of what they are, where they are found, etc. I also included in this part info about how they are not lethal, and how many are docile and aren't prone to biting.

Next I described how I got into the hobby. In this section, I provided the benefits of keeping one as a pet, and how easy to care for they are. And I told them the different species I had.

Throughout the speech I described the role tarantulas play in my life, while telling them about how to care for them, that the New world aren't prone to biting, just everything that would get them the correct info and let them see how tarantulas really are.

I had to have a visual aid and so I made a slideshow. It had all the more colorful Ts such as M. balfouri, P. metallica, A. versicolor, B. emilia, GBB, OBT, and many many more. Throughout my speech, they watched the slideshow behind me and I could see how interested they were and amazed. At certain points in my speech, I would hear comments like "wow" and such. They enjoyed my speech.

I feel as though I have changed their perspective on them. I told them that if they were interested, they could talk to me. My speech did three things for me: Got me a good grade for starters, an A, it helped set me apart as an individual, and helped me give back to the hobby by giving accurate info.

I feel really good about what I did and I hope at least one person will be interested and come talk to me. Just thought I would share my experience with you.

Zman181

Arachnoknight
That is awesome!
Would've loved to be there. Would've been awesome to there in person. I would have gone and talked to you :) Ts are so fascinating.

mschemmy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:{D

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Congratulations. I always struggle with public speaking, glad you were able to do such a good job :)

Saf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Congratulations. Sounds like an awesome speech. :clap:

Hopefully you'll have created some future new T carers there, and they'll know where to go for help and advice. :)

tebs

Arachnopeon
Congratulations! You should taken it up a notch and wore a tarantula costume while doin the speech :D

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congratulations! You should taken it up a notch and wore a tarantula costume while doin the speech :D
Lol that wouldve been great. I thought about taking my 6.5" LP with me, but it would've had to sit through a 20 minute ride there and back, plus I had three classes before that one. Just didn't want to risk it. So I went with the slideshow, I think it worked better.