Tarantula/ slings + heat lamp

razor244

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone i was looking for some advice and opinions. i have 5 T's ... 1 P.Regalis 2 GBB's in viles , an LP in a deli cup and G.Rosea in a 5 gallon tank. Its gotten very chilly here in NY. im currently living with the GF's fam since i just got outta the army. i have no control over the thermostat of the house. even during the day it can be anywhere from high 50's to low 60's in my room lately with no additional heating. Due to the temps i started using a heatlamp with a 60w red bulb its aprox 12-14 inches away from the T's. In the glass aquarium tank for my rosea doesnt it doesnt get over 80 degrees F. and inside the deli cup is a few degrees cooler on avg. As far as i can tell i should be fine keeping this setup. I just recently became concerned because i was reading another thread over in the chat section about possibly cooking your slings with a heat lamp. have any of you had a similar set up with success or failure ? Perhaps there are better affordable alternatives . i just want to provide nice conditions for my T's and could use some insight.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey everyone i was looking for some advice and opinions. i have 5 T's ... 1 P.Regalis 2 GBB's in viles , an LP in a deli cup and G.Rosea in a 5 gallon tank. Its gotten very chilly here in NY. im currently living with the GF's fam since i just got outta the army. i have no control over the thermostat of the house. even during the day it can be anywhere from high 50's to low 60's in my room lately with no additional heating. Due to the temps i started using a heatlamp with a 60w red bulb its aprox 12-14 inches away from the T's. In the glass aquarium tank for my rosea doesnt it doesnt get over 80 degrees F. and inside the deli cup is a few degrees cooler on avg. As far as i can tell i should be fine keeping this setup. I just recently became concerned because i was reading another thread over in the chat section about possibly cooking your slings with a heat lamp. have any of you had a similar set up with success or failure ? Perhaps there are better affordable alternatives . i just want to provide nice conditions for my T's and could use some insight.
I've used heat lamps with no trouble. Don't put them close AT ALL to the containers, and keep the wattage below 75, and you'll do just fine.

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
I use heat lamps for all of my T's I keep a close eye on ambient temps and never allow them to get above 75 f. If the house is warmer than that I do not use them. I live in Washington state and Its in the 40's now so my lamps are on simply because its about 60 in the house. Using them is just fine ...be aware of temps in the house and use common logic .

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It's not ideal but I've used heat lamps in the past...just use your noggin.
Monitor the temps, and don't put the slings too close to the bulb, don't let them desiccate, and you'll be fine.

I never had to worry about heating my T's, but then moved to Wa state and it became an issue. I used a lamp for a while, but eventually built a large heated cabinet.