Tarantula slings at 105degrees for 3 hours

Dexter

Arachnopeon
I have my 30 various slings in a cabinet with heat tape. My roomate thought she was turning the dimmer switch down and instead turned it to full power and left the house for 3 hours while the T's baked at 105 degrees. They all seem to be alive so far. Will they be ok having spent 3+ hours at 105? The humidity in every single cage was probably 100% atleast i could't even see through the mist on the containers.

Is there anything I can do to ensure my slings all won't die? There's a wide range of beautiful slings in my case including a balfori! Im worried!

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
If they are still kicking around you should be in the clear.

Dexter

Arachnopeon
They are so hydrated its not even funny. i mean it was a sheer fog in all their containers. I hope they all live!

aluras

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Im sure they will all be fine, Why do you have a heat strip in there with them? does it get cold there in california?:confused: I live in washington and it can get cold here, I keep my house around 75-80 and the ts live in a large enclosed oak case (with glass) and it ups it an extra few degrees...Im just wondering why it would be nessacery to have a heat strip in there,,,(I mean no disrespect)
~Aaron

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i would consider heating supplementary and not necessary for virtually all species of tarantulas in almost all locations in SoCA. might be able to found some spots in the mountains that you need heating for part of the year... but aside fromthat, most species should do just fine in the 50-100*F that most houses see for most of the year in most of SoCA :)

Dexter

Arachnopeon
Well i never use heat here. At night it gets to 68ish. and I'd like my slings to stay around 84ish to keep them nice and warm while they are tiny. I don't keep anything besides slings in the heated cabinet.

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Im sure they will all be fine, Why do you have a heat strip in there with them? does it get cold there in california?:confused: I live in washington and it can get cold here, I keep my house around 75-80 and the ts live in a large enclosed oak case (with glass) and it ups it an extra few degrees...Im just wondering why it would be nessacery to have a heat strip in there,,,(I mean no disrespect)
~Aaron
Would have to agree with you . It gets cold here . And why would you need a heat strip ? Its gets pretty hot in cali :)

MIC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They will be OK all of them.

First 105 is not by itself a lethal temperature. (its only 7 grades above our body temp) Only very prolonged exposure will be dangerous for dessication).

Second the temperature wasn't, all those 3 hours, at this level. It went up gradually and the max temperature was reached for a fraction of this time period.

Third the water works like a heat absorber and this makes the max temperature time period even smaller.

Dexter

Arachnopeon
Not a single dead one so far. I still feel like 2 of them have slightly browner legs then they had before but who knows. They all seem fine. I freaked out for nothing.

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not a single dead one so far. I still feel like 2 of them have slightly browner legs then they had before but who knows. They all seem fine. I freaked out for nothing.
The extra heat might tell them its a good time to molt so this doesnt surprise me. Dont feel bad I left for a weekend recently and our landlord decided to turn off our AC while we were gone it was a hot weekend and I live on the third story of a duplex. Im sure it must have reached 105 lucky for me when I leave for the weekend I put extra water in all the cages. I came back to several cages with water just dripping down the walls. there had been a few molts and I lost my Xenesthis immanis but I think that was just a Darwin thing there are some Ts that no matter what you do they have been naturally selected. This was the T that spent 3 days on his back not because he was molting but because he couldnt turn over.