Tarantula sling won't eat

Riosyahakbar

Arachnopeon
It's been almost 2 months since i've got my Phlogius crassipes and it still won't eat, At first i thought it would be in a molt or something, but nothing's happened, I've tried to feed it around maybe 7 times now, tried every week, and nothings happened, i reckon it could be a temperature problem since its been pretty cold since, around 15-20 degrees Celsius but not sure, can anyone help, ive been spraying its terrarium pretty often for its water supply

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
While I'm not super familiar with that species, some species of tarantulas have been known to fast for long periods prior to molting, even as slings. My 1/2 inch G. pulchripes sling fasted for 2.5 months before finally molting. So it could just be fasting prior to a molt. Is it showing any other indications of premolt? Big round abdomen, lethargy, noticeable darkening of the abdomen? I would DEFINITELY up those temperatures if possible though. Not only could that potentially stress it out, it would definitely slow it down and even affect it's eating habits. And make sure to keep an eye on how much you're spraying the the enclosure, as you don't want it too humid, especially depending on how much ventilation it has. Most people on this site seem to recommend water bowls instead of misting

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Your spider is from Australia, it needs much warmer conditions than it's been given, you really need to heat the room to 75-80 Fahrenheit, that's why it hasn't eaten, it's metabolism has slowed down to an extremely low level, once you correct the temps I'll bet it eats no problem,[EDIT] Provide enough substrate for it to burrow.

Last edited:

boina

Lady of the mites
I just want to repeat what @mconnachan has said: those temperatures are definitely too low. At temps as low as that the metabolism of the spider will be too slow for it to eat. You need to find a way to heat the slings environment in a controlled way. I'm not exactly sure about this species, but everyting in the range of 20 to 25°C should be fine with 20°C being the minimum and not the average.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Don't mist either. Im unsure on the humidity needs of that genus, but pouring water in is still much more efficient.

cold blood

Staff member
If you are keeping it cooler, you should keep it a little drier.

Use a water dish for hydration.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
You could also try a different feeder if you haven't already. Also if you haven't tried you can prekill a prey and leave it in there for a day. Could you tell us what you tried to feed it, how you tried, and what time of day you tried. This could help.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Where do you get your smurfs? I tried to get some from this old guy and his cat but he was never able to get his hands on any :/
Oh, usually in the woods someplace near my house. You can tell when you're close because they have these mushroom house things set up...dead giveaway.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Oh, usually in the woods someplace near my house. You can tell when you're close because they have these mushroom house things set up...dead giveaway.
Ill have to start looking in the woods for those mushroom houses then. Thanks for the advice amigo.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
It's been almost 2 months since i've got my Phlogius crassipes and it still won't eat, At first i thought it would be in a molt or something, but nothing's happened, I've tried to feed it around maybe 7 times now, tried every week, and nothings happened, i reckon it could be a temperature problem since its been pretty cold since, around 15-20 degrees Celsius but not sure, can anyone help, ive been spraying its terrarium pretty often for its water supply
Have you increased the temperature since this post and attempted a feeding again? What is the status?

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Yes it has eaten, i thought i'd put my T in my room which is much warmer, heres a video
The enclosure is massive, you could have a fully grown T. blondi in the enclosure, try using an enclosure that is much, much smaller. You'll find the T can then eat much more easily as it will have the prey items directly in front of it. It will also allow for better humidity levels and ventilation issues. An enclosure about 3"x3"x2" - LxWxH would be perfect for the little one. You'll notice a marked improvement in all areas of husbandry, especially eating wise.

Denbert

Arachnosquire
That's some pretty big enclosure man! HAHA. But check on it. It may have not eaten the feeder. Sometimes they just kill it and leave it behind.