Tarantula sling in premolt accidentally moved Please Help!

Pokezilla1231

Arachnosquire
Hey guys so here's the story. The past few days my heaters hasn't been working that well (Luckily the house is warm) so basically they were checking the pipes and one of my parents accidentally knocked over the container the sling is in. Luckily it is ok and not injured. The downside is the container got messed up and they attempted to fix it. The sling is currently in premolt and I am scared the change might stress it out and stop it from molting. I don't know what to do and really scared. Please help!

Last edited:

Bugmom

Arachnolord
Nothing will stop a tarantula from molting when it's ready to. At some point, it's inevitable. That's why we don't ship tarantulas that are in premolt. They'll molt in a tightly packed shipping vial, which is about the worst place to do so, but they can't not do it.

Pokezilla1231

Arachnosquire
Nothing will stop a tarantula from molting when it's ready to. At some point, it's inevitable. That's why we don't ship tarantulas that are in premolt. They'll molt in a tightly packed shipping vial, which is about the worst place to do so, but they can't not do it.
So will it be ok?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
So will it be ok?
Most likely, yes. The issue isn't that it was moved in premolt, it's that it was dropped. Just because it's moving around doesn't mean that it's unharmed.

It's not ideal to rehouse spiders that are in premolt, but it can certainly be done. I had an adult in heavy premolt that I was forced to rehouse. No harm, no foul.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
Most likely, yes. The issue isn't that it was moved in premolt, it's that it was dropped. Just because it's moving around doesn't mean that it's unharmed.

It's not ideal to rehouse spiders that are in premolt, but it can certainly be done. I had an adult in heavy premolt that I was forced to rehouse. No harm, no foul.
Mhm. The fall is more concerning than the fact that it's in premolt. However... I've dropped/knocked off a lot of slings. Oops. :embarrassed: Haven't lost one yet. They are tougher than you think! Don't play football with the enclosure lol, but odds are, it's fine, unless there was something heavy in the enclosure that could have squished it.

Pokezilla1231

Arachnosquire

So should I just leave it be?

Pokezilla1231

Arachnosquire
Mhm. The fall is more concerning than the fact that it's in premolt. However... I've dropped/knocked off a lot of slings. Oops. :embarrassed: Haven't lost one yet. They are tougher than you think! Don't play football with the enclosure lol, but odds are, it's fine, unless there was something heavy in the enclosure that could have squished it.
Yeah there was nothing heavy, just a leaf for it to go under

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I learned the hard way that picking up enclosures by the lid is a bad idea :D Luckily, the little guy was alright. Mistakes happen, just learn from them!

Bugmom

Arachnolord
I learned the hard way that picking up enclosures by the lid is a bad idea :D Luckily, the little guy was alright. Mistakes happen, just learn from them!
My poor little Aphonopelma gabeli was my last... victim. I was trying to get a photo of him and clumsy me knocked the enclosure onto the floor (lid was off). I felt so bad. He's fine. I still apologized a lot.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I still apologized a lot.
You... apologized to your spider? You're a much kinder parent than me. My immediate reaction is always "You're fine, you're fine. Get up, you're fine."

Maybe I shouldn't have kids :wideyed:

cold blood

Staff member
My poor little Aphonopelma gabeli was my last... victim. I was trying to get a photo of him and clumsy me knocked the enclosure onto the floor (lid was off). I felt so bad. He's fine. I still apologized a lot.
Yep, it happens...just the other day I knocked a deli cup to the ground with a P. cam in it....the cam was fine.

I had one a few years ago where my shirt caught several condiment cups with N. chromatus...3 were perfectly fine...one lost a leg...no harm there....the other was missing 3 legs and had a rupture on the abdomen...I thought it was a goner...it was in the early stages of pre molt. I kept it damp and warm and to my surprise it started moving again and then molted. Its been fine since and is now nearly 5".

That was the worse knocked down sling experience I have had.

Last edited:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Had an OBT sling flip and moult when my house was getting a new roof. Talk about extremely loud and lots of vibrations making things shake in the house! (It seemed especially loud (to me) when they were working on section over T room. I was so worried about the timing. Little tyke got on with his moult without any issues. They can be amazingly hardy. I think he flipped second day and the roofing took three days. I assume Ts have little choice re: moulting timing: I guess when it's time - it's time.

Pokezilla1231

Arachnosquire
Had an OBT sling flip and moult when my house was getting a new roof. Talk about extremely loud and lots of vibrations making things shake in the house! (It seemed especially loud (to me) when they were working on section over T room. I was so worried about the timing. Little tyke got on with his moult without any issues. They can be amazingly hardy. I think he flipped second day and the roofing took three days. I assume Ts have little choice re: moulting timing: I guess when it's time - it's time.
Oh wow, ever since the container fell all it has been doing is sitting in its hide, I have seen no sign of webbing or burrowing is that ok?

Kayis

Arachnopeon
Oh wow, ever since the container fell all it has been doing is sitting in its hide, I have seen no sign of webbing or burrowing is that ok?
It'll be fine. I also have knocked down multiple containers like the clumsy fool I am. Most recently knocked down a G. pulchripes sling that has been burrowed for a month. Ended up digging to make sure I didn't kill the thing. It was fine and molted a few days after.