Tarantula sitter

burntclaw

Arachnopeon
Hi all, what do people on this forum do with their collection when they are out for a month?

Since I have slings I would be uncomfortable with leaving, I am hoping to find someone who can look after my Ts. Sadly with some of my sp I wouldnt trust the people I know to look after them. Any advice on finding T sitters? Philly area.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Hi all, what do people on this forum do with their collection when they are out for a month?

Since I have slings I would be uncomfortable with leaving, I am hoping to find someone who can look after my Ts. Sadly with some of my sp I wouldnt trust the people I know to look after them. Any advice on finding T sitters? Philly area.
Do you have a friend or family member that could watch them if you explain basic care? Some exotic pet stores also sometimes do boarding if you can't find anyone.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
With slings- you’ll likely need someone unless they are fat NWs even then it’s risky if they molt the day you leave etc

I’d look into a vet

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Networking or training. I have two people who I feel comfortable with taking care of my collection during an extended absence on my part. One is a fellow breeder with a decent knowledge base I met in the local scene and one is a friend who keeps a few beginner tarantulas currently and is willing to build on their knowledge base (typically we'll do a walk through before I leave and I will provide notes for some more advanced specimens).

Both are compensated in the end.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I've got a feeling I could leave my Ts for a month without any consequences. The adult for sure. Maybe the sling too.

burntclaw

Arachnopeon
Hi, I do have friends and family members (thankfully...) who'd help out but I'm not sure if I would trust them with my more advanced tarantulas, especially the OWs. unfortunately i only moved into the philly area recently so i dont know too many people and basically no exotic pet keepers. if anyone has connections near the philly area id love to hear about it 👀

i havent thought about vets. ill look into that.

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
When I go out of town, I feed everyone a big meal before I go, and enlist a friend to water them. I mark the different enclosure based on how moist they need to be, and have melted/drilled a hole in the lid directly over the dish. Of course if the T is already in the enclosure and the lid isn't fully removable, that may not be an option for you. But that way the caretaker can water them without ever having to open the enclosures!

Isaax Critterz

Arachnoknight
Before i leave for every trip i feed my T a big worm before leaving so it has nutrients. I also make sure they have plenty of water to drink so it doesnt get dehydrated.

Sachsen

Arachnopeon
I am currently babysitting 4 tarantulas for 3 weeks and they are all very happy and doing well. They go back next week. Maybe there is a market for this and I keep an empty shelf for visitors and guests? I always update the owner with feedings and pictures to :).

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
just make sure they are well fed then top off water bowls and flood bowls over some to get the sub a bit damp then leave a fan running in room they are in

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
just make sure they are well fed then top off water bowls and flood bowls over some to get the sub a bit damp then leave a fan running in room they are in
Yeah I can easily go week or weeks depending on the t while being away from home . The smaller ones are harder to care for . Max I ever leave is a week.
I am currently babysitting 4 tarantulas for 3 weeks and they are all very happy and doing well. They go back next week. Maybe there is a market for this and I keep an empty shelf for visitors and guests? I always update the owner with feedings and pictures to :).
Great 👍..