Tarantula sealed itself in hide...

Benson1990

Arachnoknight
So we're coming up to a month now and there we are still at a stand still, I also have a G. Pulchra sling who has decided to do the same thing.

Bit of a macabre question but what if one got into difficulty for some reason and died while sealed off? I obviously can't see in at all so don't no whats going on in there.

winter

Arachnosupporter +
A month of self-barricading in its burrow is nothing unusual for a tarantula. I used to have an A. seemanni which would close off its burrow for months at a time. If you're worried, you can try placing prekilled prey in the enclosure and remove it the following day if the tarantula doesn't take it.

It's highly unlikely for a T. albopilosum to die while self-barricaded in its burrow. If it were to happen, based on the size of your tarantula and the amount of tissue it has, you'll surely be greeted by the stench of rotting flesh.

Benson1990

Arachnoknight
Bit of an update, so today as I was refilling the T's water It looked like it's after molting inside the flower pot, I was able to see through the holes in the back of the pot, from what I could make out it looked as it there were two T's inside, I could see her legs moving around with the molt on the other side, it was hard to see and I couldn't get a clear image but im 99% sure she molted.

Hopefully she'll come out soon and I hope the molt went well!

USNGunner

Arachnosquire
44 days, Red finally molted, we rehoused him yesterday. Going to hold off a few days to feed the beastie.

Attachments

Goldengoose

Arachnopeon
PXL_20211115_095901126.jpg
Hi, I have a similar situation as above...This is my Australian Phlogius Rubisetta Juvenile T I have had it for 2 months. Overnight it completely sealed itself in (this was over a week ago now) I have tried leaving live crickets but they go untouched- so remove, likewise have left freshly killed crickets and removed them after being untouched. I have a water bottle lid filled with water in the open enclosure, but my question here is if it has enclosed itself in it's hide, how will it get water? I can only assume- based on other threads and reading, that it's about to moult... and that water is important during this time... I'll move another water lid closer to the burrow but other than that, if you have any advice or reassurance 😉 that all will be well, I'd love to hear it.
Thanks 👍

Last edited:

Goldengoose

Arachnopeon
View attachment 404187
This is my Australian Phlogius Rubisetta Juvenile T I have had it for 2 months. Overnight it completely sealed itself in (this was over a week ago now) I have tried leaving live crickets but they go untouched- so remove, likewise have left freshly killed crickets and removed them after being untouched. I have a water bottle lid filled with water in the open enclosure, but my question here is if it has enclosed itself in it's hide, how will it get water? I can only assume- based on other threads and reading, that it's about to moult... and that water is important during this time... I'll move another water lid closer to the burrow but other than that, if you have any advice or reassurance 😉 that all will be well, I'd love to hear it.
Thanks 👍 This is my first post

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
View attachment 404187
Hi, I have a similar situation as above...This is my Australian Phlogius Rubisetta Juvenile T I have had it for 2 months. Overnight it completely sealed itself in (this was over a week ago now) I have tried leaving live crickets but they go untouched- so remove, likewise have left freshly killed crickets and removed them after being untouched. I have a water bottle lid filled with water in the open enclosure, but my question here is if it has enclosed itself in it's hide, how will it get water? I can only assume- based on other threads and reading, that it's about to moult... and that water is important during this time... I'll move another water lid closer to the burrow but other than that, if you have any advice or reassurance 😉 that all will be well, I'd love to hear it.
Thanks 👍
If they need water they will come out and get some. They get most of their water from their food anyway, it's just a a supplementary measure we like to do

courtney1027

Arachnosquire
I got a juvenile phlogius kuttabul T I saw it the first night I bought it home and haven’t seen it in months! Try not to worry, every two weeks I just put a pre killed cricket in there but it never comes out to eat it. I’m sure it’s fine back there

courtney1027

Arachnosquire
View attachment 404187
Thanks 👍
It’s the bloody phlogius species they always do this 😂 my kuttabul has been barricaded for months and my Rubestia juvenile about 3-4 weeks now, I saw a leg come out the opening the other day so I know it’s sweet just doesn’t want anything at the moment

soopersoop21

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't even attempt to feed until she comes out. My 1st curly hair burrowed itself for 6 months before it came out and ate for the very 1st time since I had brought it home. When it comes out then I would attempt to feed again.
How big was it? I’m in the same boat. My curly hair went into burrow and I don’t know if I should feed. Some say yes. Some say no.

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
How big was it? I’m in the same boat. My curly hair went into burrow and I don’t know if I should feed. Some say yes. Some say no.
Prekill a feeder if you want. But know that you’re most likely doing it for your own comfort. Your tarantula knows how to tarantula but it’s not an issue to prekill and drop in front of the hide entrance. If your spider eats, it was hungry. If it doesn’t, remove after 24 hours to avoid mold and grossness.