Tarantula-safe terrarium objects?

Curazai

Arachnopeon
So my little B. smithi sling has grown significantly larger since her shed, and I want to give her a little more room since her pill bottle is no longer suitable. I have a 10cm x 8.5 cm x 6 cm acrylic enclosure for her, but I also know baby tarantulas are much like snakes in that they're not huge fans of open spaces.

What objects are safe for arachnids? Do they hold to the same phenol rules as snakes (no phenolic woods like pine, cedar, etc)? Do I have to be concerned about the weight of an object, are there certain things to avoid, etc? Is 'prettiness' or display enclosures completely off the table? What can I do to make her feel safe and secure?

This is also a wonderful time to show me some of your sling enclosures!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Aside for cork bark, fake leaves (I use those only for web loving T's) and a water dish, there's nothing else you can find on mine enclosures. No stones, rocks, skeletons or dinosaurs of all sorts. IMO they are useless, and, the less in the enclosure, the better for maintenance cleaning.

Not even mention to think about the idea of a 'climb & fall' scenario with T's falling just on those rocks, plastic made items etc only present for a (pretty debatable) aesthetic purpose :-s

Curazai

Arachnopeon
True. Cleaning really isn't a concern for me. My other enclosures are fairly spartan, and I was planning on making the B. smithi my display pet if anyone was going to be. If it's better for her health, I can keep it to just a piece of cork and plastic leaves, however.

Oh trust me, Im keeping it low XD I read some pretty horrific threads about tarantula falls here! She's my baby, I want to keep her as safe as humanly possible.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
This is (for instance) the set up for my female (I discovered the sex since she gave birth to almost 25 babies, btw) S.subspinipes.

Basically this is what (aside for the different humidity level of the substrate) you can find on my T's enclosures. I'm a traditionalist, lol :-s

thumbnail_DSC_0649.jpg

Curazai

Arachnopeon
Hey, I think that looks really pretty! If that's all I'm restricted to with T's, I wouldn't mind in the slightest.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
The only things I have ever used for Ts is Cork bark, fake plants and the correct sub. They dont need much :)

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Hey, I think that looks really pretty! If that's all I'm restricted to with T's, I wouldn't mind in the slightest.
You can add more if you'd like, most of us just like to set up simple, functional enclosures because many of us have a large amount of t's and other inverts. It'd be impractical to have fancy set-ups for each one.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Any decorations meant for fish are safe for Ts :) Decorate to your little heart's content!

clive 82

Arachnoknight
So my little B. smithi sling has grown significantly larger since her shed, and I want to give her a little more room since her pill bottle is no longer suitable. I have a 10cm x 8.5 cm x 6 cm acrylic enclosure for her, but I also know baby tarantulas are much like snakes in that they're not huge fans of open spaces.

What objects are safe for arachnids? Do they hold to the same phenol rules as snakes (no phenolic woods like pine, cedar, etc)? Do I have to be concerned about the weight of an object, are there certain things to avoid, etc? Is 'prettiness' or display enclosures completely off the table? What can I do to make her feel safe and secure?

This is also a wonderful time to show me some of your sling enclosures!
I give my B Smithi a flowerpot hide, water dish & plenty of substrate, that's all & its quite happy.

Estein

Arachnoknight
Even for my slings that don't web much, they seem to like having fake plants to burrow under. I also recently bought a bulk bag of cork bark for the first time and went cork-wild. Everyone seems to enjoy hiding behind or under their new additions.

Last edited:

Curazai

Arachnopeon
Looks like some cork bark and a little fake-plant placement is all she needs to be happy! Thanks for the input guys!

Steve halward

Arachnopeon
Bestvthing i do with most of my enclosuresbis keep them spartan on the inside and stick an aquarium background on the back, they look great without the clutter