Tarantula redecorating...?

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know its common for some tarantulas to move things around in their enclosures. However, I just witnessed my male A. geniculata pick up his waterdish (gatorade bottle cap) and carry it down into its burrow. I noticed him drinking yesterday and sitting by it most of today. Is this common? It doesn't bother me but if it becomes a habit I guess I will have to get something heavier. I doubt he will like me reaching down there with and pulling it back out. Interesting nonetheless....

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My female B. smithi always moves her water bowl. A l w a y s !
I would replace it. If it wants to move it, it should be able to move it i think.

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
One of my G. Rosea slings at this time has buried 4 bottle caps. I just keep putting new ones in there. One she tipped up on its side and webbed it down to the ground. She seems to like to attack it when disturbed. Strange one she is.
If she's taken it in her burrow I would just let her have it and get a new one.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
She wanted a teddy to cuddle while she was asleep! She obviously had nightmares the night before! LOL

Mallard

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My A.Seemanni will dig under hers so she can flip it over. Then she buries it.
She goes right into a threat posture if I dry to flip it back.
jason

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have several "flippers" and those who like to bury. i think they do it just to frustrate me.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I got these short, heavy glass votive candle holders from wal mart to use for water dishes. They're waaay to heavy for a t to move but also too smooth and heavy to pick up with tongs. Also there are these nice little pyrex glass measuring dishes you can get that seem to work ok.

Having said that, i've tried both of those and gone back to gatorade caps. If they can't tip it, they'll fill it and at least with gatorade caps it's easy to pick them up and dump them out without putting my fingers in the line of fire.

The only time i've seen any of my spiders act aggressively is when i try to push my little b albopilosum off of his water dish where he likes to hang out. He bites the crap out of my chopsticks every time. Oh, and when i accidentally spritzed the haplo in the face. She didn't like that.