Tarantula Reaction to Flashlight

Laurenlrf

Arachnopeon
Sometimes I use my phone flashlight to see if my t is sticking out of the burrow (or roaming about) before misting at night. I usually try to mist during the day and I don't have to do it very often because I live in a humid coastal area and I have a rose hair. But alas, when I do mist at night and I use my phone light to do a quick check, my t will scurry out to the entrance of its burrow. Which is entirely counterproductive. I like to think my t is saying hello. But rather than anthropomorphizing, does anyone know why the reaction would be to come look? Is it checking to make sure it's still nighttime? I don't get it. Ts usually avoid light

Thanks for reading

Poonjab

Arachnoking
No need to mist your T. Put a water dish in and call it good. It’s just coming out because T’s do weird things.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Misting is for plants.

Stop misting. Not sure why why it’s running towards your light.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Agree, misting not required.

Grammostola often do things that look like “curiosity” to me. Not sure what the actual function of these behaviors is.

Tarantulafeets

Arachnobaron
My lp twitches her spinneretts when I shine a flashlight at her behind and once moved entirely just because of the light. None of my other ts do this.
But alas, when I do mist at night and I use my phone light to do a quick check, my t will scurry out to the entrance of its burrow. Which is entirely counterproductive.
Could it be because you create a breeze when going there? My t albo attacks the vent holes just because I create a breeze when doing maintenance.

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
My guess is it was hungry probably thought you were going to feed it. My Ts have become pretty much desensitized to my phone flashlight, and light in general, but that could just be a species thing.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Sometimes I use my phone flashlight to see if my t is sticking out of the burrow (or roaming about) before misting at night. I usually try to mist during the day and I don't have to do it very often because I live in a humid coastal area and I have a rose hair. But alas, when I do mist at night and I use my phone light to do a quick check, my t will scurry out to the entrance of its burrow. Which is entirely counterproductive. I like to think my t is saying hello. But rather than anthropomorphizing, does anyone know why the reaction would be to come look? Is it checking to make sure it's still nighttime? I don't get it. Ts usually avoid light

Thanks for reading
Ahhh yes....flashlight 😃
I am a master flashlight abuser I will admit. All of mine except for one could care less when I'm flood lighting them.

Out of them it was my T. albopilosus that really hated the flashlight. I check on it when I come home from work at night. When it was 3 inches DLS, (it's 4 inches now) it came charging out of it's burrow in a threat pose, startled the hell out of me.

It also would stick out of it's burrow, turn sideways and rear all the way back exposing it's fangs to me.

I will like to point out it is my only T that ever gave me a threat pose, charge at me and expose it's fangs.

Goes to show no matter the species you can get one that defies the generalization of that species temperament. Once it molted to 3.5 inches never got another threat pose.

I still flashlight her though 😁