Tarantula Questions

najig21

Arachnopeon
Hey y'all. You didn't just hear me say that. I have a list of all the tarantulas I want, but it's too long to post. I am 16 anyway, so my mom won't allow many more tarantulas in her house. Oh yeah, movin' out when I'm 18. Anywho, in this particular order, I need to know if anybody has some good keeping advice that isn't covered in the basic caresheets for:
- Cyclosternum fasciatum (Costa Rican Tigerrump)
- Chromatopelma cyanopubescans (Greenbottle Blue)
- Pterinochilus murinus (Usambara Orange)
and I know it's not a tarantula, but I don't want to make a whole other post:
- Latrodectus bishopi (Red Widow)
Any good information would be just SUPER. Thanks, guys.

I HAVE:
1 Aphonopelma seemanni (costa rican zebra)
1 Aphonopelma chalcodes (tuscon blonde)
1 Avicularia versicolor (antilles pink-toe)
1 Grammostola rosea (chilean rose hair)
1 Latrodectus mactans (black widow)
1 Pandinus imperator (emperor)
1 Hadrurus arizonensis (desert hairy)
1 Python regius (ball python)
10000000 crickets to go with it all

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
hello, and welcome to the forums! I have all 3 species, and each is super easy to care for IME

C fasciatum ~ mine was AWOL for 3 months, and when I found her, it looks like she may have molted. She was dehydrated, but recovered overnight. So it appears they are quite hardy! She was super webby before she escaped, but has made no attempt to do so since I found her. Good appetites, very flighty, but not especially defensive. I keep her on dry peat moss/vermiculite mix, with a large water dish.

C cyaneopubescens ~ I have two of these gorgeous spiders. Very dry, unless they are spiderlings, is the way to keep them. One of mine thinks she is arboreal, lots of webbing and climbing her corkbark. The other has made a nice burrow at the base of her/his cork bark. Again, they are quite skittish, but not really defensive, I've only had them flick hairs. However, mine are voracious eaters, and I wouldn't want them mistaking my fingers for food. I make sure they are well fed, and don't stick my fingers in there and surprise them! I keep them also on peat/verm mix, and I don't mind so much about them climbing, they are much more agile then most terrestrials, although I have heard they can fall. I keep a water dish with them, but they are bone dry otherwise

P murinus ~ I have 2 adult females, both of which I bred and produced eggsacs from. Talk about hardy, this tarantula is it! Again, a very dry species, keep them on bone dry peat/verm mix with a water dish. Mine are finicky eaters, sometimes devouring everything in sight, other times not eating anything. One loves to burrow, and one loves the heights. As long as they have an established place to feel safe, I've never had a problem with cage maintenence. However, if they feel threatened in any way...watch out!!!!
They will not hesitate to defend!
Very tolerant of the opposite sex, and easy to breed and get a viable eggsac from...neat spiders!
If you have any more questions, please ask!

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Immortal_sin

C fasciatum ~ I keep her on dry peat moss/vermiculite mix, with a large water dish.

P murinus ~ I have 2 adult females, both of which I bred and produced eggsacs from. Talk about hardy, this tarantula is it! Again, a very dry species, keep them on bone dry peat/verm mix with a water dish.
I have both of these species as s'lings right now. The C. fasciatum is still real tiny, so it is in its original vial. The P. murinus is a little smaller than an inch. I have it in a 2.5 oz deli cup.

Both of them, I have on moist peat/vermic mix. The vial is obviously too small to put a water dish in. I don't have any dish in the deli cup either. I could probably put a bottle cap in there if I wanted.

Should I change their conditions?

I thought that it was important to keep all captive tarantulas substrate somewhat moist for good molting purposes.

Big Dragonfly

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
I have both of these species as s'lings right now. The C. fasciatum is still real tiny, so it is in its original vial. The P. murinus is a little smaller than an inch. I have it in a 2.5 oz deli cup.

Both of them, I have on moist peat/vermic mix. The vial is obviously too small to put a water dish in. I don't have any dish in the deli cup either. I could probably put a bottle cap in there if I wanted.

Should I change their conditions?

I thought that it was important to keep all captive tarantulas substrate somewhat moist for good molting purposes.

Big Dragonfly
hey BD,
I keep my P murinus slings dry and put a small water dish for it, .. mine is about 1.5 inches... I love this one.. at this size, mine can take down big cricket.

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
mom

Your mom wont let you have anymore T's but she lets you keep a widow?
Strange mom

looseyfur

najig21

Arachnopeon
Re: mom

Originally posted by looseyfur
Your mom wont let you have anymore T's but she lets you keep a widow?
Strange mom

looseyfur
It's the big spider phobia. But it doesn't live at my house anyway. My parents are divorced, and my dad supports the idea of my love for strange animals all the way. It lives with him, one city over. But I care for it, so it's on my list as my spider. And yes, my mom is strange.