Tarantula Pairing while female is eating?

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
I've heard of people feeding the female right before pairing her with a male right to the point where she's still eating the food so that she's too distracted to be interested in the male.

Curious though, has anyone had experience with this, and if so how did it go?

Last edited by a moderator:

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
...and force the poor male to stem his tibial hooks into a mess of crushed insect pulp and fangs to lift the female up? Guess it could work if the male's game for some kinky stuff. Otherwise - probably not a good idea.

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
...and force the poor male to stem his tibial hooks into a mess of crushed insect pulp and fangs to lift the female up? Guess it could work if the male's game for some kinky stuff. Otherwise - probably not a good idea.
Yeah he'd have to be into some pretty sadistic stuff haha. Just thought I'd ask, thanks for the input

Crazyarachnoguy

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter
No, do not do that. That’s stupid. Would you want to eat a good dinner while having intercouse? PRE feed them, don’t feed them then expect them to breed. You most likely won’t have a success pairing and will just stress the female out. She needs time to digest her meal.

Sorry, I realize you aren’t a breeder. I just get a little too passionate sometimes lol.

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
Tried this before with my P. muticus female. I thought a prey item would be a nice distraction so she won't try to eat the male and to kinda lure her out of her burrow aswell. What ended up happening was the female thinking the male was just an extra snack, the male didn't even had the chance to drum. 3 secs after getting the male in her enclosure, she immediately jumped him

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
Tried this before with my P. muticus female. I thought a prey item would be a nice distraction so she won't try to eat the male and to kinda lure her out of her burrow aswell. What ended up happening was the female thinking the male was just an extra snack, the male didn't even had the chance to drum. 3 secs after getting the male in her enclosure, she immediately jumped him
Thanks for sharing your experience.

I hope other individuals who have tried this can share their experiences as well.

Last edited:

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I think this will probably be the consistent answer among those who've tried it. The girls would be in full on predation mode and they'll think any vibration near them is additional prey. Ever fill up a water bowl right next to a tarantula that just caught a roach? A lot of the times (especially if you're slowly pouring the water), they'll go after it thinking it's more food.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
No, do not do that. That’s stupid. Would you want to eat a good dinner while having intercouse?
Jello is not considered dinner, right? Just asking for a friend.

To the question so I don’t get mod burned for being off topic, I would think that the scenario would make the female less receptive since she’s already preoccupied; they don’t exactly give up their food and switch gears, but interesting question.