TARANTULA order

Willuminati

Arachnosquire
Dude, just buy em all and more. You can only learn the best from YOUR OWN experience in this hobby, and any experience is never a loss.

Good luck :pompous:

cold blood

Staff member
Errr...No? P. irminia are NW. Fast, no urticating hair, right, but they don't have a very strong venom. It's not considered medically significant.
As mentioned , they pack more punch than any other new world. Their venom is unique, containing psalmotoxins, which specifically open the receptors for pain....medically significant, no, absolutely not, but about the last NW I'd want to get tagged by....and of all the Psalms, an irminia is probably most likely to tag you...they can be total angry jerks.

Thanks for the info guys think I might swap out the P irminia for N chromatus
Good bet, chromatus are a joy to own, fast growth, great appetite, even when small, and you get to watch cool colors come in across successive molts.

The N chromatus is bad for beginners too. Worst hairs aside from Theraphosas, and very liberal with them too.
Not at all...IMO they're not difficult to raise or deal with as adults...some are flicky, but nowhere near as flicky as, say, coloratovillsus. And some threat posture, but its no where near what you would get from a really defensive one like P. cancerides. They may not be an ideal beginner, but they're not a terrible choice...op isn't a total newbie, he's had others that will make a chromatus just be another spider, and not a difficult spider at all...and they look great and are low cost, so op could get 2 or 3.

Based on reputation, a P. cambridgei or P. pulcher might be a better choice if there is interest in this genus.
This is a great option. cams grow faster than irminia, get bigger, and are out a lot, I mean a lot more than irminia (which are ghosts). And cams are probably the most green t there is...and again, inexpensive enough to get a couple. P. cambridgei is, IMO, one of the most all around perfect ts with a blend of everything everyone loves.

Last edited:

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
I have 3 P. irminias ranging from sub adult female, juvenile, and smaller juvenile.....I never get to see any of them as they all stay hidden in their cork tubes/makeshift web den/tubes. I've never had issues with aggressiveness from any of them. Rehousing has been...for the most part a breeze...the occasional climb out on the side of their container and not wanting to go in their new home lol Honestly, my 2 female G. roseas are more moody than my irminias lol. I can't say much for my geniculata or my chromatus since they are only slings.... my chromatus is quick to dive in its hole from the lightest disturbance, my genic has "kicked" when disturbed (should be real fun when it gets bigger lol) I have an adult female A. chalcodes... worst eater EVER. She's gone almost a full year without eating...shy...she'll either raise her butt high in the air, hide her eyes with her legs, or dive bomb into her hide when disturbed. She's only kicked hairs at me a couple of times (she got me real good when I first unboxed her rofl).... the LPs are super easy...I currently have 10 I'm raising...bought them at 1/4-1/2 inch in size...now they are about an inch + in size. good eaters, keep them damp...I have a few that are skittish when disturbed and others who think the slightest disturbance is a meal lol. Just keep in mind though, each tarantula has it's own personality.....you might get lucky and get a super docile animal...or you might get satan :p

Willuminati

Arachnosquire
....and of all the Psalms, an irminia is probably most likely to tag you...they can be total angry jerks.

I had my mature males enclosure out last night open in my hands and chest level, went to fill its water dish and the Lil demon reared up in a defensive pose then darted straight at my face, jumped actually. He probably felt my slight exhale when I snapped my head back from seeing Him knuckle up on me, and ATTACKED!

I ninjad my face out the way and he landed on my shirt then teleported to my bed,which was directly next to me, where my ninja reflexes kicked in and I dropped my big plastic cookie-tub-crazy-spider-catcher on top of him FTMFW.

Almost scared the turds outta me.