Tarantula On Back Several Days

zeeman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My G pulchra has been on its back the last 3-4 days. Prior to this occurrence I've seen her on her back before this about a week prior. She's still alive and will move around on her back if I touch her leg or she gets disturbed by the light.

Of the 15 T's I have she's the only one I see do this. Usually when a T is in molt they are on the back for overnight at most. She's only about an inch or so dls.

My concern is she is trapped in her previous exo-skeleton and can't molt due to lack of humidity. I tried spraying her enclosure to keep the sub damp. Her neighbor, an A geniculata that recently molted beside her died about 2-3 days post molt (it looked totally fine post-molt, had full water dish).

Should i euthanize my G pulchra so it doesn't suffer trapped til I expect it would starve or dehydrate? If so, how best to do it?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My G pulchra has been on its back the last 3-4 days. Prior to this occurrence I've seen her on her back before this about a week prior. She's still alive and will move around on her back if I touch her leg or she gets disturbed by the light.

Of the 15 T's I have she's the only one I see do this. Usually when a T is in molt they are on the back for overnight at most. She's only about an inch or so dls.

My concern is she is trapped in her previous exo-skeleton and can't molt due to lack of humidity. I tried spraying her enclosure to keep the sub damp. Her neighbor, an A geniculata that recently molted beside her died about 2-3 days post molt (it looked totally fine post-molt, had full water dish).

Should i euthanize my G pulchra so it doesn't suffer trapped til I expect it would starve or dehydrate? If so, how best to do it?
What makes you think humidity has anything to do with molting?

I lived in desert conditions, my Ts live in desert conditions practically. They all molt fine- no matter where in the wild they are from.

zeeman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I dont know what else it would be. Otherwise genetic issue or just plain nature.

Do I have an issue or just don't worry about it?

By issue should I euthanize the T or no?

Last edited:

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
I wouldn't kill it, i would wait. If you've seen her do it before then she could come around still. Maybe drip a lil water in her mouth?

Lobstersign

Arachnopeon
Are you sure they have been on their back the entire time? My T. ockeri before it's last molt spent about a week laying on its back the majority of the day and night and would occasionally flip itself over again. It is like he knew he had to molt but wasn't quite ready yet and kept delaying it. After worrying me silly he eventually molted just fine. So I would honestly wait to see what will happen. The tarantula knows what it is doing.