Tarantula not eating

Pocketman

Arachnopeon
I have got a sling. His species is phlogius cape gloucester. He molted over a week ago. After a week I tried to feed him he did not eat. Every day after that I tried to feed him. It didn't work. I have been using meal worms as food. Does this species like a different food. Why is it not eating?

I have also been taking out the meal worms around a minute after putting it in(because it starts burrowing) does this have effect? if so how can I change it?

BoyFromLA

Lurking
Arachnosupporter +
Be patient. Just wait another week or two, then try it again.

Hardus nameous

Arach...umm..umm..you know, the thing!
Arachnosupporter +
You're crushing the mealworms' heads right?
I have a few spiders who almost never eat while I'm watching. No matter how careful I am opening the enclosures they know I'm there and think I'm a predator, hence they wait until I'm gone.

Coradams

Arachnoknight
For slings, I cut a mealworm in half and just leave part in the enclosure overnight.

Smotzer

Arachnoking
After a week I tried to feed him he did not eat. Every day after that I tried to feed him. It didn't work
If something doesn’t take prey one day, don’t try the day after repeatedly so. If it doesn’t take prey wait a week and then try again. It’s not going to starve without food for a week, or even much much longer usually.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
I immobilize mealworms by crushing their heads or cutting them into pieces and let my slings scavenge them on their own time, but sometimes spiders don't want to eat. Regardless, that would stop the burrowing and rushing.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Crush the mealworm's head so that it doesn't burrow, leave it in the enclosure for 24hrs, remove if not eaten, wait a few days and try again.

Envoirment

Arachnosquire
Crush the head of the mealworm and leave it in the enclosure near the tarantulas hide in the evening. Leave it in there overnight and by the morning you will likely notice your tarantula has taken it/is feeding on it.

JPG

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter
If it makes you feel at ease, my GBB once didn't eat for months right after molt, but it survived and takes food well now. Some of my Ts take a long time or not to recognize mealworm as a prey. Then I just use my Surinam roach nymph instead for more feeding response.

RoachCoach

Arachnolord
This is pretty much where the psycho in you kicks in or it doesn't. I hate having to kill things, but it is necessary if you chose this side f the hobby. You will quickly learn what movement triggers your spiders feeding response. If the head crushing and cutting them in parts doesn't work, then have a feeding bin that will make short work of them. Don't let anything go to waste.