Tarantula not eating

KeliJo

Arachnopeon
I have a Venezuelan Curly Hair tarantula and she has not been eating recently. I have been counting the number of crickets i put into her cage and the same number are coming back out. It seems like it has been a couple months since she has wanted to eat, when previously she would eat as soon as they hit her floor. Honestly I can't remeber the last time she molted as it has been a little while and she is also getting older (I have had her for about 18 years but I got her from a friend so I don't know her exact age) Any suggestions as to what could help?

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
They fast for long periods of time. She could also be nearing a molt, so you probably shouldn't leave crickets in there unattended. The older and bigger they get, the longer the premolt seems to take.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
I
They fast for long periods of time. She could also be nearing a molt, so you probably shouldn't leave crickets in there unattended. The older and bigger they get, the longer the premolt seems to take.
I wouldn't worry to much , my Brachpelma Emilia hasn't eaten since December , just make sure the water dish is full , it's always a worry when your new as this was my second T , and I was always asking my daughter if he / she was ok . If theirs any uneaten Prey after 24hrs remove it .

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
18 years?.From a friend who had her before.T,s are not immortal.They do have a
limited lifespan.Not trying to upset ya,but....

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Sorry to hear about your T troubles. I hope it is just a fast before a moult. As they get older, they can go extremely long periods of time between moults which equals longer fasts before moults also. You could have a sick T, but my gut says yours is simply very old and reaching the end of its life.
Fingers crossed you get a moult and a little more time with your gal.
You're always welcome to share a pix of your T and setup -- for others to help troubleshoot. But if you've had her 18 years, I am doubting it's your husbandry at fault.
Sorry. :(

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I have a Venezuelan Curly Hair tarantula and she has not been eating recently. I have been counting the number of crickets i put into her cage and the same number are coming back out. It seems like it has been a couple months since she has wanted to eat, when previously she would eat as soon as they hit her floor. Honestly I can't remeber the last time she molted as it has been a little while and she is also getting older (I have had her for about 18 years but I got her from a friend so I don't know her exact age) Any suggestions as to what could help?
Pictures would help a great deal, has your T been showing any signs of pre molt?
18 years?.From a friend who had her before.T,s are not immortal.They do have a
limited lifespan.Not trying to upset ya,but....
B.albopilosum is a very long lived species, I wouldn't be surprised if it still has a few good years left.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I hope it is just premolt. 17 years...that is awesome. 17 years ago I didn't even know I could keep Theraphosids, let alone had one. Not much you can do besides what you're doing already really...maybe stop feeding for a couple of weeks and just keep the waterdish full. If you keep her on dry substrate, maybe make it a bit moist to up the humidity a bit, my B.albopilosum likes it a bit more humid than other Brachypelma. I've not heard yet of Venezuelan Curly Hair, but I think it is a B.albopilosum since I know no other species with the common term 'curly' in their names.

Best of luck with her!

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
A B. albopilosum can live for well over 18 years, so I don't think age is the problem. Sounds like premolt. Take the crickets out. They could eat her while she's molting.

cold blood

Staff member
I have a Venezuelan Curly Hair tarantula and she has not been eating recently
Best to just call it a B. albopilosum and not confuse yourself with common names. For example, there is no curly hair (B. albopilosum) in Venezuela....they live in either Honduras or Nicaragua.

Its wonderful to have had her 18 years....but at that age, her molt cycle will be very long, and long periods between molts mean that with regular feedings, they end up fasting for long periods of time, especially prior to molting, which is almost certainly the case with yours. Pre-molt fasts of slow growing NW terrestrials like Brachys, Aphonopelmas and some Grammostola can last a year to 2 years...maybe more.

I think yet again, patience is the answer. I would just stop offering food, keep water in the dish and wait.