Tarantula Newbie trying to learn about the molting process.

Theman11

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone,

I am new to this world of pet tarantulas and am trying to learn about the molting process.

What happens to the old carapase/exuviae after the tarantula sheds?
Am I supposed to throw it out?

I'm struggling to find information about it.

Thanks,
-A

Table

Arachnosquire
lot of people collect them, I keep em pined up and sorted by what T. Some people have jars full. You Def can just throw it away thow.

Theman11

Arachnopeon
lot of people collect them, I keep em pined up and sorted by what T. Some people have jars full. You Def can just throw it away thow.
thanks, I prefer to throw it out. I have seen videos online where the T's linger around it after shedding and was unsure if they still need it or if i can remove it.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I leave mine in for a week or so then toss it. If it’s harder to get to I may wait to see if the T moves it to its dumping area and then pull it.

My A. Minatrix molts were at the bottom of a cork tube for the past four molts. The other week it decided to clean up and found them all piled in one spot that I was able to get to.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
I used to keep mine for size comparison, but when you have several spiders that becomes unsustainable. Now I just take pictures next to an object for scale, so I can compare the sizes that way. It's neat seeing them change with time when you're raising from a sling or juve.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Hey everyone,

I am new to this world of pet tarantulas and am trying to learn about the molting process.

Thanks,
-A
Well....this has multiple answers.

If you have an arboreal and it molts inside it's web cocoon two things can happen.
1. It pushes the molt outside of it's web entrance which then you can remove to save, sex, (depending on size) or pitch.
2. It pushes the molt to the bottom of it's web cocoon which you cannot remove without destroying it's web cocoon..

Also terrestrial spiderlings and some juveniles will molt at the bottom of their burrow. The only way you are going to remove them is.
1. When you rehouse or
2. Destroy the burrow by digging up the molts which is not advisable.

If your T molts in a place you can retrieve the molt wait until the T moves from it. Sometimes they will want the moisture from the molt before it hardens up.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
They're cool so I have an impulse to keep them but I just hand them over to a friend of mine who makes jewelry out of them now. I have no need for them, personally.

I'd leave it with the tarantula for a few days, though. They like to suck the moisture out of it sometimes.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I just hand them over to a friend of mine who makes jewelry out of them now.
Yes, yes. The infamous Bacon Bits ‘N Pieces line. I rock a full spread Grammastola in an eight prong setup on my pinky finger. I don’t need to wear a mask when I go out, no one wants to be within six feet of me.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Yes, yes. The infamous Bacon Bits ‘N Pieces line. I rock a full spread Grammastola in an eight prong setup on my pinky finger. I don’t need to wear a mask when I go out, no one wants to be within six feet of me.
It works better than chicken feet!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey everyone,

Thanks,
-A
Nothing
Up to you

jc55

Arachnoknight
I used to keep them when i first started in the hobby but once my collection started to grow it ujst became to many to keep so like others have said totally your choice.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
I used to keep mine for size comparison, but when you have several spiders that becomes unsustainable.
I have 12 and still keep them. I just keep them in ziploc bags with their name in sharpie. Super fancy lol.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
They make wonderful Christmas tree decorations, coasters, rearview mirror baubles, also good to keep on your work keyboard so no one messes with your computer. Excellent to put in the Halloween candy bowl outside the house.
Possibilities are endless tbh

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Has a coworker ever taken your food or can of pop from the employee fridge?
Not with a T. stirmi molt guarding it they won't.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
also good to keep on your work keyboard so no one messes with your computer. Excellent to put in the Halloween candy bowl outside the house.
Possibilities are endless tbh
Funny, though don't try this with New World exuvia, unless you want to get sued by little Timmy's mom when he goes blind from getting urticaria in his eyes!

Many many years ago my sister used to have a rose hair exuvium that she kept on her windowsill as decoration. It got knocked onto her bed and she didn't notice, she slept on top of the thing. I don't have to tell you how sorry she was.