Tarantula Molting Gone Wrong

BunnyBacteria

Arachnopeon
Hello.

I've got my tarantula for 5 months now and she just molted ... buuuut something gone wrong.
It's a female Chilean Rose, she's 4 years old and I have never had troubles with her.
She didn't turn upside down when she molted, she's healthy and her behaviour is normal for molted tarantulas.
She looks allright, but one of her spinnerets is swallown and has some white gel around and now it's messy from the earth, the other spinneret is fine.
I've left that alone since I don't want to hurt her, she has enough water and her substrate was changed about 2 weeks ago.

I also took a picture:

I need help, I'm so worried : (

Thank you.

BlackCat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It looks like your G. rosea may have had a wet molt, that only had an affect on the spinneret. I've never seen it happen in person but from what I've seen here on AB that is what I would assume it to be, as long as she isn't leaking hemolymph and is acting normal I would probably just leave it alone.

There are people more experienced than I am so I would be interested to see what they have to say as well, I'm definitely no expert, but I hope that helped.

Also, that is a gorgeous T! :)

BunnyBacteria

Arachnopeon
Thank you soo much :)
I've also took pictures of all process, I may put it in the picture forum.

I'll see what will happen, I hope she's going to be okay.

BlackCat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I forgot to mention.. you might want to make sure the anal area isn't blocked, very important, the T could get impacted if it is!

Take a Q tip with warm water on it and get the substance off if it is being blocked, be careful since it just molted OR wait a few days and the warm water should soften it and peel off whatever may have dried there.

BunnyBacteria

Arachnopeon
Thank you very much, I'll try to be as gentle as I can, I hope she'll be okay.

Last edited:

BunnyBacteria

Arachnopeon

That's how it looks now, I picked her out of the terrarium and with warm water I cleaned of the dirt and removed the little sticks with a tweezer. There's like a bubble filled with something.

BlackCat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmm... :confused:

When the more experience/knowledgeable people come around they hopefully will have a better answer for what that might be and what to do about it. Looked more like a wet molt in the first pic but that really doesn't now. looks like it is on the side of it, like the spinner is on the inside edge? Wish I could help more with that but yeah, you definitely want to leave her alone as much as possible so she doesn't get hurt and stressed out being a fresh molt.

At least its only a spinner and if she has to lose it it will come back in the next molt or 2.

BunnyBacteria

Arachnopeon
I hope so, I could contact the pet shop since they have spiders there, maybe they will know. The bubbles are like attached to the spiner and I can see it, she doesn't seem to react when i try cleaning it, I hope she isn't in pain.

BlackCat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Could try to contact the shop, they usually don't know much about T's to a point where you're better off with the people on the forum here.. (xhexdx, Fran, Redneck.. to name a few).

BunnyBacteria

Arachnopeon
They've said that I should drop some unpurfumed talc to help it dry and that it's gonna fal off soon. It's just a malformed spinner but she may get fungal infection.

Yaaay :)

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It doesnt look good :(

But, In my opinion, if you drop there talc or anything else you might help the infection.

This might stress the T a little,but probably the best bet at this point is transfering the T to a large ICU with the porpouse of "bacteria free" enviroment. Moist paper towel as a substrate,at least will avoid dirt and mites getting into the wound.

I wouldnt get her out of there till you see a dramatic improvement, like the spineret dried off or it fells.

Try to feed her well and provide lots of water, Warm temps, etc.
That will help the regeneration/heal process.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The Grammostola rosea is a very hardy spider and tarantulas often loose limbs in the wild so i think she will be fine if you just leave her alone.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow I never seen something bulb like that...
is it getting bigger?

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh thats a sad sight.. :( I hope it doesnt hurt her.. I honestly cant offer any advice on it.. I have not had any personal experiance with this problem.. I have only read of others with their T's having a cyst..
This almost looks like it might be the case.. But I am not sure..

Maybe this will not affect her on the next molt.. Again I cant say for sure if it will or wont since I have not had any experiance.. But from reading others delimma it didnt turn out well..

Though their T's had the cyst on the abdomen & not on the spinerette.. Im not saying yours has a cyst.. But that could be the case..

She is a pretty girl though.. I would like to get me a RCF rosea...

Best of luck with yours.. :eek:

BunnyBacteria

Arachnopeon
The spinner fell of when I dried and dropped some talc on it, she was fine for a couple od days, I kept her in warm well moist terarrium. One night I woke up, and saw that she's been in corner sticked to the glass so i poked her and she didn't move i tried to move her and saw that she's dead...

Hanes

Arachnosquire
So sorry for your loss...we can only hope to learn from this

I know g.roseas barely web but did you possibly see any abnormal webbing behaviour, also did she make a molt mat before her molt

XzotticAnimal420

Arachnosquire
I know g.roseas barely web but did you possibly see any abnormal webbing behaviour, also did she make a molt mat before her molt

LOL are you kidding? I have one G. Rosea in particular that spins more web than my H. Lividum. She spins it all over her rock cave and its so thick you can see it from any angle. More web than Ive ever seen from any Rosea, yes!

Hanes

Arachnosquire
LOL are you kidding? I have one G. Rosea in particular that spins more web than my H. Lividum. She spins it all over her rock cave and its so thick you can see it from any angle. More web than Ive ever seen from any Rosea, yes!
I was speaking generally