Tarantula molt stuck at cephalothorax (thorax, not abdomen)

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
I will try to get a closer look and picture next of the pedipalps next time. However I positively ID the new and old ones. So, they are out too.
Alright. If both the pedipalps are out, get pics of both the new and old. You're not doing harm taking any pics, so take away.

Yvan Daniel

Arachnopeon
i still think taking it out was a bad idea.

I agree with you, finding about the sex or trying to determining the cause by manipulating the pet further does not address the problem directly.

Anyway, I consider the pet doomed. The old pedipalps did not show any emboli it must have been a camera effect. As written earlier in this post the T is 3 inches in diameter. The vendor says that is it 1 year old or so. They believe it to be a young tarantula (the species was also pointed out by a link). So, determining the sex of the cause of this situation is diverting from the true issue.

I think manipulating the pet further to take pictures does not address the main issue that is the sticking problem not the causality of the situation. At this time more picture will not address the problem directly and to my opinion would only encourage what could be here -at this time- (i.e. manipulating further a most fragile state possibly dying tarantula) a rather bad practice. So, to discourage this practice when not fully indicated nor justified there will be no pictures anymore.

Please, don't argue with me and tell me that i do not have to manipulate the pet to take these kind of pictures. Just taking it out of its habitat and not letting it rest stresses it. And I have clearly pointed out that I am no expert. So, a novice manipulating a T in such a condition is not a good thing. So, if I am no expert how could I possibly have an opinion on the matter? Because I have a brain, a strong science background, that I read and talk to other people and that I am capable of learning and make an opinion for myself. Furthermore, it is clearly stipulated in numerous publications not to do so.

This situation is affecting psychologically my daughter that is attached to the pet. So I think with her approval of putting the T in the cold to end its misery. I will come back when dead of truly alive and well.

Thanks everybody for your inputs! Truly!

Alright. If both the pedipalps are out, get pics of both the new and old. You're not doing harm taking any pics, so take away.

Last edited:

Yvan Daniel

Arachnopeon
???
He never mentioned fangs.
look at 4:30 on the previous page, i did wrote about the fangs.

"What you saw on the picture (if I got the right one) were the old pedipalps. And yes, i did notice some kind of redness that looked like fresh blood around the new fangs..."

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
look at 4:30 on the previous page, i did wrote about the fangs.

"What you saw on the picture (if I got the right one) were the old pedipalps. And yes, i did notice some kind of redness that looked like fresh blood around the new fangs..."
I was talking about cold blood, look at your last reply to him... He never mentioned anything about fangs.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
It is affecting psychologically my daughter so I think of putting it in the cold to end its misery. I will come back when dead of truly alive and well.
That'd probably be best. Cause you're getting absolutely no where. And this issue is absolutely not going to resolve itself or at least be understood without human intervention.

Yvan Daniel

Arachnopeon
That'd probably be best. Cause you're getting absolutely no where. And this issue is absolutely not going to resolve itself or at least be understood without human intervention.
Thanks for your understanding and support! (no irony here, truly)

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Thanks for your understanding and support! (no irony here, truly)
I think sarcasm was the word you were looking for, but there is also plenty of irony in your comment too. I'm going to do myself a favor and unwatch this thread. Good luck with the T.

Last edited:

smitje

Arachnosquire
I feel your frustration. I had a spider going ill and ultimately dying on me. It sucks. I was trying to get help on what to do but wasnt very lucky either. Thing is there are NO experts on how to operate a tarantula. Dissecting it, probably....

At the end of the day your T is stuck. It will die. Best chance you have is help it as much as you can. Keep it moist and cut away what you are sure about. It will probably die anyway. At least you gave it a shot. Small chance it will work but thats better then doing nothing and freezing it. You can do that in a few days also.

As ghost is saying, this issue will not resolve by itself. And Hey, even if it fails youll get bragging rights about the time you performed surgery on a T. In the army you get a medal for that :)

Last edited:

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Sorry I didn't look into this thread earlier. I can zoom on those pictures, and that is not a mature male. It may not seem particularly relevant, but it is due to the tendency of mature males to get stuck in post ultimate molts. Based on the species, that spider is most certainly not only one year old, but 3" is not its full mature size. That's the only reason the sex would have mattered.

I had a tarantula that looked to be in the same condition, but she had actually failed to extract one leg. I cut the old skin away so she could move, and she cast the leg a few days later with no further ill effects. Glycerin can be used to soften a retained molt, but often you will do more harm than good if you try to pry an old skin off if it already hardened. I would suggest providing the tarantula easy access to water in a dry and hygienic enclosure after you cut off as much of the empty skin as possible and then playing the waiting game to see if it either regains strength or passes.

Yvan Daniel

Arachnopeon
Final update! The tarantula died i presume shortly after I took the pictures. Most probably from internal injuries since at one point (as written) its thorax was "torn apart". I waited a few days to be certain (it is starting to decompose..). Thanks everybody for your inputs!.

Leila

Arachnobaron
Final update! The tarantula died i presume shortly after I took the pictures. Most probably from internal injuries since at one point (as written) its thorax was "torn apart". I waited a few days to be certain (it is starting to decompose..). Thanks everybody for your inputs!.
I am sorry for your loss. At least you were vigilant in your quest for attaining knowledge in order to help your T. That speaks volumes IMO. :)

Yvan Daniel

Arachnopeon
I am sorry for your loss. At least you were vigilant in your quest for attaining knowledge in order to help your T. That speaks volumes IMO. :)
Thanks Leila! It is soooo easy to get attached to any life form when one cherish Life. Ready on its back, It had its web all well constructed like a bed to move on forward with its new life but found Eternity instead....

Leila

Arachnobaron
Thanks Leila! It is soooo easy to get attached to any life form when one cherish Life. Ready on its back, It had its web all well constructed like a bed to move on forward with its new life but found Eternity instead....
I recently experienced an immense 'loss' as well. I was so hopeful that my T's egg sac was viable, but it recently proved to be a fluke. I was broken up for a few days. So I know it hurts, even if that is just the way life/nature goes- doesn't alter the fact that we are animals with complex emotions and attachment to other life forms (as you said.) ::hugs::