Tarantula medical care

user 666

Arachnobaron
I couldn't find a thread on this, so -

My curly hair tarantula that escaped 3 weeks back has been recovered. The only problem is, the puppies found it first.

Does anyone know how set up an ICU for tarantulas?

The patient is a 3" tarantula. It is missing 1 leg but is still active. Its abdomen is almost hairless and glistens like it might have puncture wounds.

It is currently housed in an enclosure on coco fiber and moss. The temperature is at or above 80F, and yes it is very humid.

I really couldn't find any advice on this issue in the forums, so I am hoping someone can tell me where to go from here.

thank you

ChrisTy

Arachnoaddict
Pictures always help if you can provide them. Unfortunately it doesn't sound so good. ICU's are a thing of confusion for people. It isn't like the ICU for people. It is a humid warm dark environment used for dehydrated spiders and debatably effective. Raising humidity isn't going to heal your spider. They can regenerate legs, but puncture wounds to the abdomen are a different story. Keep is dark and as stress free as you can is the best I can tell you. Others will chime in with better ideas. Only time and patience will tell here.
Edit* ICUs can also be used to isolate a spider due to an infestation to their enclosure or to the T itself.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
The temperature is at or above 80F, and yes it is very humid.

I really couldn't find any advice on this issue in the forums, so I am hoping someone can tell me where to go from here.

thank you
thats unnecessary and plain bad. these are arid species. at 3" it should be bone dry. and dont put it in a ICU, they do more harm than good with arid species. doesnt sound good, puncture wounds usually equal death.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
In all honesty I fail to understand how an ICU will help your Theraphosidae. The best thing IMO is:

- leave him/her in the enclosure, access to water 24/7 (maybe put the wounded bugger in the water dish for a drink). Pray.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Pictures are worth a thousand words.

Honestly, if the carapace was punctured by puppy teeth... yeah. I very much doubt it'll pull through. But please do post pictures.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
A typical ICU won't heal puncture wounds. It's really only meant for T's who are dehydrated or have a malnourishment problem. I had a T lose it's fangs in a molt and I hand fed that little girl for 9 months straight every week in an ICU.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
OP, y u no post pictures?
Also dang that tiny little spider is a boss for fending off those puppies. Hope it pulls through.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Omg...that looks awfull. However, I see no leaking of fluids, and it looks like it is scabbed over already, although that is usually not the case. How is the little fella doing? Were the puncture wounds only on the abdomen?

user 666

Arachnobaron
Omg...that looks awfull. However, I see no leaking of fluids, and it looks like it is scabbed over already, although that is usually not the case. How is the little fella doing? Were the puncture wounds only on the abdomen?
I didn't see signs of puncture wounds elsewhere, no.

The T is still active, and I think it is eating. Twice now I have put in a cricket, and I can't find either in the enclosure.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Well that's a good sign. I initially thought that the puncture wounds were on the carapace, my mistake. Just be sure to keep a full, clean water dish at all times. That is very important, as the risk of dehydration is very real right now.

user 666

Arachnobaron
100 hours have passed since I recovered the T.

It is still active and eating, and the prognosis looks good.

user 666

Arachnobaron
Hard to say, none of them are in focus or maybe it's the resolution of the camera, or both. I can't see enough detail on the abdomen at all.

Pretty T though.
I haven't mastered taking a photo of a T yet. Out of a dozen photos taken today, this was the only clear one.

In case anyone is wondering, the dark spot on the abdomen is a scab over a couple puncture wounds.

Attachments

Sana

Arachnoprince
It looks like you're doing everything you can for your little one. I think the big hurdle at this point is going to be the next molt. I don't know if healing puncture wounds will cause molting problems though my brain leans toward yes. If you don't mind keeping us updated on its progress and the results of the next molt it would be fantastic information to have.