Tarantula log house idea...

Benson1990

Arachnoknight
So I was thinking of buying small log cabin to keep my tarantulas in, I have no space in my house to expand, I don't have any spare rooms I can use and I currently keep my collection in my room but have reached my limit with how many I can keep.

Anyone ever done anything like this? I don't think I'm allowed link the site of the company I plan on using but I'll give as much detail as I can.

Size I was planning on is 3 meters x 2 meters, obviously be fully insulated, weather treated and heated, specifically designed to be cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

Im based in southern Ireland so we don't get much extreme weather, it's a temperate climate, our summers aren't too hot so I don't think keeping it cool will be too much of a problem in summer, also winter isn't too extreme either, it only gets really cold for a couple of months of the year.

The price isn't bad imo, just over €2, 000 for everything, any thoughts? anyone ever done something like this before?

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It would really be best to house me in your cabin. I am quiet, do not eat much and am highly territorial.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
as i know it log cabins are expensive to maintain due to how much they shift/ shrink and expand

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Do you know anyone or can you find anyone that has this specific model who can give you an unfiltered review and possibly let you see how it's stood up to the test of time?

Benson1990

Arachnoknight
Do you know anyone or can you find anyone that has this specific model who can give you an unfiltered review and possibly let you see how it's stood up to the test of time?
Well they give a 10 year guarantee but also say it should last 2-3 generations...but obviously you'd have to be maintaining it which wouldn't bother me.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Well they give a 10 year guarantee but also say it should last 2-3 generations...but obviously you'd have to be maintaining it which wouldn't bother me.
An unbiased, first hand account would trump any guarantee given, especially since these don't seem that expensive for what they are. If I were in your shoes, I'd definently try to gather as much knowledge as I can from other people (not via the company's published reviews) as I doubt that guarantee would cover the building's contents should the worst happen. Just my two cents, I don't want to see anyone suffer heartbreak by losing their collection.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I know people who buy storage building, insulate them, add a window unit, and keep collections in them, yes it will work. Like a tiny house, or if you could find a single wide trailer for a few grand, you would have a whole house dedicated to tarantulas.